HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Cli-Fi Is All the Rage

Sat Dec 26, 2015, 12:38 PM

Cli-Fi Is All the Rage

By Kieran Cooke / Climate News Network

LONDON—It’s some time in the not too distant future. The American mid-west has turned into a dust bowl. Birds are dropping out of the sky. Cities are encapsulated in domes so that people can breathe clean, if recycled, air.

Billions of refugees, victims of drought and famine, are on the move. The streets are full of violent gangs and human traffickers. Pandemics are breaking out.

Welcome to a new literary genre—climate fiction, or cli-fi.

Some of it might be sensational, some of it not exactly great literature, and some downright depressing, but there’s little doubting cli-fi’s growing popularity.

Cli-fi—along with its elder brother sci-fi—is now considered part of modern literature’s classification system. Though some titles make only a passing reference to climate change, while others are more concerned with murder, mayhem and sex than with global warming, others are more thoughtful, science-based works. ...................(more)

http://www.truthdig.com/arts_culture/item/cli-fi_is_all_the_rage_20151226

2 replies, 985 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cli-Fi Is All the Rage (Original post)
marmar Dec 2015 OP
dhill926 Dec 2015 #1
HereSince1628 Dec 2015 #2

Response to marmar (Original post)

Sat Dec 26, 2015, 12:48 PM

1. reminds me of the book, "Nature's End,"

by Whitely Streiber (before Communion stuff...) and James Kunetka. Really powerful....and written in 1986!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to marmar (Original post)

Sat Dec 26, 2015, 01:23 PM

2. This is new? I thought we'd been doing post-collapse fantasy for decades

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread