HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Are GMO food products res...

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:00 AM

Are GMO food products responsible for the degenerate state of the Republican party?

It's obvious that the entire Republican party has degenerated into vile, mechanistic, opportunistic, mysogynistic, racist, homophobic, anti-intellectual, corporate-toady, fear-driven cohort of misaligned sheeple.

Top expositors on DU and elsewhere have noted that this widespread degeneration (see photographic evidence below) has corresponded closely in time with the infestation of the food chain with food products rolled off the GMO chemical pharmaceutical industry assembly line, Inc. (R).

Correlation is not causation, of course, but EXPERTS AGREE that this disastrous state of affairs is worthy of a massive, rigorous non-industry-funded independent research project.

42 replies, 3001 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 42 replies Author Time Post
Reply Are GMO food products responsible for the degenerate state of the Republican party? (Original post)
AxionExcel Mar 2016 OP
TexasProgresive Mar 2016 #1
AxionExcel Mar 2016 #2
womanofthehills Mar 2016 #20
KamaAina Mar 2016 #30
MisterP Mar 2016 #3
Rex Mar 2016 #4
womanofthehills Mar 2016 #15
KamaAina Mar 2016 #31
Archae Mar 2016 #5
AxionExcel Mar 2016 #7
womanofthehills Mar 2016 #18
UTUSN Mar 2016 #6
AxionExcel Mar 2016 #8
petronius Mar 2016 #9
AxionExcel Mar 2016 #10
Major Nikon Mar 2016 #14
yawnmaster Mar 2016 #38
Major Nikon Mar 2016 #40
yawnmaster Mar 2016 #41
womanofthehills Mar 2016 #19
Major Nikon Mar 2016 #26
malaise Mar 2016 #11
Dr. Strange Mar 2016 #12
Major Nikon Mar 2016 #17
Dr. Strange Mar 2016 #23
Major Nikon Mar 2016 #24
AxionExcel Mar 2016 #32
Major Nikon Mar 2016 #34
HuckleB Mar 2016 #35
Major Nikon Mar 2016 #36
HuckleB Mar 2016 #37
Major Nikon Mar 2016 #39
HuckleB Mar 2016 #42
L. Coyote Mar 2016 #13
Deadshot Mar 2016 #16
Humanist_Activist Mar 2016 #21
Major Nikon Mar 2016 #22
AxionExcel Mar 2016 #25
AxionExcel Mar 2016 #28
Deadshot Mar 2016 #29
AxionExcel Mar 2016 #33
Person 2713 Mar 2016 #27

Response to AxionExcel (Original post)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:42 AM

1. That's a real stretch.

There are valid arguments for and against GMO foods but this one needs more than innuendo to mean anything. Personally I think GMO foods is a potential danger to the food chain that we depend upon. I could be wrong but if I am correct and it is way in the future it could spell real disaster. I don't believe that GMO foods are of immediate danger, my worry is the extreme narrowing of food crops gene pool.

As to whether GMO foods cause degeneration of mental faculties, ethics, intelligence and aggression; who knows? That would take really extensive studies, both statistical and controlled.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TexasProgresive (Reply #1)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:46 AM

2. Conclusive evidence

What did the Bundy-RepbuliBagger Malcontents crave when they took over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge?

Why GMO infested snacks, of course. Issue settled. Debate over.

Reply to this post

Response to AxionExcel (Reply #2)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:00 PM

20. Remember when the last group was surrounded by the FBI -

they were negotiating and Sandy (Sean's wife) asked if they could stop by the McDonald's drive in - I assume on the way to jail. Then, David Fry, last man standing, was crying to the FBI he wanted pizza and weed!!!

At one point, Sean was on camera telling David - sorry I'm eating your pop tarts.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasProgresive (Reply #1)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 05:46 PM

30. I believe this is intended as satire.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 12:28 PM

3. hey, who says the GOP doesn't love science? as long as it leaves a lot to clean up, or makes

people sick, that is!

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 12:37 PM

4. I have to say, they've all come a long way from their beginnings as GMO corn!

Who could have realized that a stalk of modified corn could be turned into the GOP candidates! Well, some of us were suspicious from the beginning...I mean COME ON...Rand looks like a head of corn! Rubio? Rubio needing to be watered constantly.

Then there was the mystery disease that grew on them...took weeks before we realized it was Trump and not a new kind of fungus amungus!

Reply to this post

Response to Rex (Reply #4)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 09:31 PM

15. GOP in the movies

Reply to this post

Response to Rex (Reply #4)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 05:50 PM

31. Hey there! Corn fungus is delicious!

Or so I have heard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_smut

Corn smut is a plant disease caused by the pathogenic fungus Ustilago maydis that causes smut on maize and teosinte. The fungus forms galls on all above-ground parts of corn species, and is known in Mexico as the delicacy huitlacoche; it is eaten, usually as a filling, in quesadillas and other tortilla-based foods, and soups....

Smut feeds on the corn plant and decreases the yield. Smut-infected crops are often destroyed, although some farmers use them to prepare silage. The smut is a delicacy in Mexico, where it is known as huitlacoche, even being preserved and sold for a significantly higher price than uninfected corn. The consumption of corn smut originates from Aztec cuisine. For culinary use, the galls are harvested while still immature — fully mature galls are dry and almost entirely spore-filled. The immature galls, gathered two to three weeks after an ear of corn is infected, still retain moisture and, when cooked, have a flavor described as mushroom-like, sweet, savory, woody, and earthy. Flavor compounds include sotolon and vanillin, as well as the sugar glucose.

The fungus has had difficulty entering into the American and European diets as most farmers see it as blight, despite attempts by government and high profile chefs to introduce it. In the mid-1990s, due to demand created by high-end restaurants, Pennsylvania and Florida farms were allowed by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to intentionally infect corn with huitlacoche. Most observers consider the program to have had little impact,[citation needed] although the initiative is still in progress. The cursory show of interest is significant because the USDA has spent a considerable amount of time and money trying to eradicate corn smut in the United States. Moreover, in 1989, the James Beard Foundation held a high-profile huitlacoche dinner, prepared by Josefina Howard, chef at Rosa Mexicano restaurant. This dinner tried to get Americans to eat more of it by renaming it the Mexican truffle and it is often compared to truffles in food articles describing its taste and texture.

I actually was going to try it a few years ago when Mom came out for a visit and we went to SF, but we never made it to the Mexican place I had in mind that serves it.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 12:42 PM

5. This is the dumbest theory I've read since a guy at WBAY posted all sorts of crap about "chemtrails.

Or do you believe in those too?

Reply to this post

Response to Archae (Reply #5)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 03:39 PM

7. Take two* and call me in the morning

There's now mounting evidence that GMOs & glyphosate cause damage to the funny bone, as well.

Reply to this post

Response to AxionExcel (Reply #7)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 09:47 PM

18. Coming to get you!!

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 01:58 PM

6. Bwah-ha-HAH!1 Or am I finding humor inappropriately?!1 n/t

Reply to this post

Response to UTUSN (Reply #6)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 03:40 PM

8. You are altogether appropriate UTUSN

Glad to see DUers who get it, and who are not drinking the endless supply of kool aid that comes with the regularly scheduled DU attacks on clean, wholesome food unadulterated by synthetic chemicals and mechanistic, profit-driven GMO substances.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 03:48 PM

9. You are trying...

...much too hard.

(I'm sure there's a gif for that sentiment, but I'm too lazy to look for it. Probably because GMOs have sapped my motivation and creativity.)

Reply to this post

Response to petronius (Reply #9)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 04:37 PM

10. Not trying nearly as hard as

...the systematic, regularly scheduled attacks on clean organic food that infest these pages or the ongoing systematic campaign to prevent people from knowing what synthetic man-made substances may be infesting the food they feed their families

No matter how hard anyone tries, that stuff just ain't funny.

Reply to this post

Response to AxionExcel (Reply #10)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 08:51 PM

14. Some would call those things, facts. YMMV

Title 7 → Subtitle B → Chapter I → Subchapter M → Part 205 → Subpart G
§205.601 Synthetic substances allowed for use in organic crop production.

This official USDA-AMS logo is a marketing signal to consumers. It is backed by federal law and enforced by the USDA. Farmers using this symbol must closely follow the rules of the National Organic Program (NOP). The
NOP is a marketing program, not a nutrition nor a food safety program, such as Good Agricultural Practices
(GAPs).
The Allowed* Use of Commercial Fertilizers, Pesticides, and Synthetic Substances on U.S. Farms Under the USDA National Organic Program

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #14)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 08:41 PM

38. And copper compounds stick around much longer than the organics that will break down into more...

harmless compounds.

Reply to this post

Response to yawnmaster (Reply #38)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 09:01 PM

40. The reverse is actually more true

Synthetic substances tend to break down into more harmless compounds because they are specifically engineered to do so. Copper sulfate, which is inorganic but nonetheless approved under the National Organic Program, is highly toxic to people and animals and tends to accumulate in the soil and groundwater where it causes all sorts of environmental problems.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/copper-sulfate-ext.html

If one is truly concerned about the environment, sustainability, and food safety, then the most effective and least evasive product should be used when necessary. Assuming the best product is always "organic" is nothing more than an appeal to nature fallacy. That's why the NOP is managed under the USDA's marketing branch, and discloses specifically that its regulations do not address nutrition or safety.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #40)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 11:47 PM

41. That's what I'm saying (in less detail). eom

Reply to this post

Response to AxionExcel (Reply #10)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 09:52 PM

19. It just blows my mind away - the love of pesticides on DU

They have to work for the chemical companies to be so obsessed about it.

Reply to this post

Response to womanofthehills (Reply #19)

Sun Mar 27, 2016, 09:37 AM

26. What blows my mind away...

Are those who are actually so deep into the conspiracy theory they think anyone who disagrees with them is part of the conspiracy.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 04:40 PM

11. ROFL

because

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 06:53 PM

12. No, it's not the GMOs, don't be ridiculous.

It's the vaccines.

Reply to this post

Response to Dr. Strange (Reply #12)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 09:45 PM

17. Pffft, everyone knows what the real culprit is

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #17)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:33 PM

23. Little-known fact:

before vaccines, people never saw chem trails in the sky. Think about that.

Reply to this post

Response to Dr. Strange (Reply #23)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:42 PM

24. Vaccines were the first delivery system

Chemtrails are far more efficient.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #17)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 06:07 PM

32. Wow - endorsing the whackjob ch*mtrail conspiracy says a lot about you and your so-called "science"

Last edited Mon Mar 28, 2016, 06:51 PM - Edit history (1)

Please consider reading a book or two on this subject. Knowledge is power.

Be careful or some mean-spirited, pea-brained jerk will ALERT on you for bringing up a FORBIDDEN topic. Ch*mtrails - you should learn - are not to be spoken of, thought about, or investigated.

Reply to this post

Response to AxionExcel (Reply #32)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 08:03 PM

34. Sarchasm

Noun
1) The intellectual gap between the person who makes a sarcastic joke and those who don't get it.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #34)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 08:04 PM

35. I think that was willful ignorance on display there.

Reply to this post

Response to HuckleB (Reply #35)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 08:16 PM

36. Sounds more like the voice of experience

It's not as if there isn't a distinguished list of repeat customer woo mongers who have been unable to confine themselves to the CS group.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #36)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 08:33 PM

37. Oh, goodness.

I hadn't checked CS to see who posts there in years. Wow! That was informative.

Reply to this post

Response to HuckleB (Reply #37)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 08:47 PM

39. That's not generally where you find the best stuff

The video & multimedia forum is a good place for the "climate engineering", aka Chemtrail threads. Recently there was a pretty good thread in GD about government sponsored mind control that included links to an anti-Semitic web site. I do kinda miss the electromagnetic hypersensitivity threads although one occassionally does manage to pop up now and again.

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #39)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 11:53 PM

42. 42 likes?

Oh, DU, we have to talk.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 07:35 PM

13. Long ago, I recommended testing the water in DC for lead poisoning.

Now I recommend testing the politicians.

Reply to this post

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 09:38 PM

16. This is the dumbest thing I've read on this website.

Reply to this post

Response to Deadshot (Reply #16)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:03 PM

21. Just wait, he'll start in on contrails and vaccines causing autism next. N/t

Reply to this post

Response to Humanist_Activist (Reply #21)

Sat Mar 26, 2016, 10:04 PM

22. I'm still waiting for the moonbombing thread to come back around

Reply to this post

Response to Major Nikon (Reply #22)

Sun Mar 27, 2016, 09:20 AM

25. "You rang?" - The Moonbombers (R)

Free clue for those who require one:

Reply to this post

Response to Deadshot (Reply #16)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 10:22 AM

28. I checked with the experts

They unanimously agree, the dumbest things on this website are actually:

A. The relentless systematic posting of threads promoting ignorance. You know, the ones that want to kiss off the preference of 92% of Americans who would like labels so they know what's in the food they feed their families, and instead argue that knowledge, democracy are stupid, and that IGNORANCE must be maintained by continuing to block information.

B. The relentless systematic posting of threads damning clean food free of synthetic manufactured chemicals as some kind of a hoax, while promoting more more more hazardous industrial chemical systems of growing food - ignoring the fact that" Tests for a hundred particularly hazardous substances have revealed that – on average – we each harbour 27 of them in our blood, though the chemical cocktail varies from person to person.

When you consider how these toxic industrial ag chemicals are linked to the HUGE increase in chronic diseases (such as diabetes, obesity, lipoprotein metabolism disorder, Alzheimer’s, senile dementia, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis and autism), you can readily appreciate why 'experts agree' that the "organic hoax" threads are actually THE DUMBEST THINGS ON THIS WEBSITE.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/countryside/8985039/Human-bodies-contain-too-many-damaging-chemicals.html

http://sustainablepulse.com/2014/11/07/new-study-huge-increase-us-chronic-diseases-linked-glyphosate-herbicides/#.Vvk9aGOXd0d

Reply to this post

Response to AxionExcel (Reply #28)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 05:05 PM

29. 92% of Americans are morons then.

So what is the label going to tell them? Their food has GMOs? Then what?

Why not go further and make them put farm(s) the food came from, the latitude/longitude of that farm in degrees, minutes, and seconds; the address/owner of that farm, and the date of harvest.

Reply to this post

Response to Deadshot (Reply #29)

Mon Mar 28, 2016, 06:16 PM

33. Ahh, another poo fling from the Elitist 8% & the Ignorance Imperative

The vast 92% of US Citizens know that Donald Trump (R) and the Puny Minority Elitist 8% like to call us STUPID because we want knowledge, for ourselves and our families, and because we feel democracy is important. Pretty damn strange, eh?

Now corporations are realizing that the customers are right. As usual. Took long enough.

The Puny 8% Elite Minority - and their role model Donald "You-are-all-STUPID" Trump - are just going to have to lump it and find a way to tolerate Democracy, and you'll have to claim the ignorance you seek by averting your eyes from the labels. That shouldn't be to hard to do. Good luck.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 27, 2016, 04:21 PM

27. I have actually thought "Is it the food? "But I know too many intellectual liberals who eat absolute

crap junk food consistently
I have a feeling that is not the easy link although I have read glysophate.can lead to agrees ion in children

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread