HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » British bar fined $156K f...

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 10:15 AM

British bar fined $156K for liquid nitrogen cocktail that ‘exploded’ in teen’s stomach

British bar fined $156K for liquid nitrogen cocktail that ‘exploded’ in teen’s stomach, forced organ's removal




A British bar whose liquid nitrogen cocktail caused a teenager to literally lose her stomach while celebrating her birthday has been fined approximately $156,000.

The Lancaster wine bar accepted blame for the near fatal 2012 concoction which left 18-year-old Gaby Scanlon "smoking from her nose and mouth," The Telegraph reported.

"Straight away I knew something was not right," Scanlo, now 20, said while recalling looking to the bar's staff for help and guidance after downing the complimentary drink.

She said a bartender at Oscar's Wine Bar and Bistro had encouraged her to "drink it while it's still smoking."

It was later revealed that that the staff had been instructed to have consumers wait 10 seconds, until the liquid nitrogen had boiled off.

Having gulped the smoky beverage as it continued to fizz, she said she felt "an explosion" inside of her, as the chemical ate away at her stomach lining and internal tissue.

She was rushed to a hospital where doctors had to remove her stomach and her small bowel connected to her esophagus. Today, nearly three years later, she still suffers from extreme pain, she said.

The bar pleaded guilty to one count of failing in the duty of an employer to ensure the safety of persons not in its employment, the BBC reported.

The family-run bar's barrister also apologized to Scanlon and her family, saying they had been left "mortified" by what happened.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/liquid-nitrogen-drink-exploded-british-teen-stomach-article-1.2364891


http://elitedaily.com/news/bar-teen-stomach-removed/1217822/

YOLO!

4 replies, 700 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply British bar fined $156K for liquid nitrogen cocktail that ‘exploded’ in teen’s stomach (Original post)
IronLionZion Jun 2016 OP
PoliticAverse Jun 2016 #1
Blue_Tires Jun 2016 #2
IronLionZion Jun 2016 #3
Blue_Tires Jun 2016 #4

Response to IronLionZion (Original post)

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 10:19 AM

1. Liquid Nitrogen is not a toy. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to IronLionZion (Original post)

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 10:22 AM

2. What kind of moron bartender thought this was a good idea?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #2)

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 10:26 AM

3. "the staff had been instructed to have consumers wait 10 seconds"

Sounds like it was an official feature of the bar, but the bartender misunderstood the instructions for the timing.

I've seen chefs use liquid nitrogen on cooking shows and it always made me nervous. I wouldn't want to mess with it. It's very dangerous.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to IronLionZion (Reply #3)

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 10:39 AM

4. Why ask customers to wait ten seconds?

When the server could just hold the drink until it was safe?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread