HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How rational societies re...

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 12:28 PM

How rational societies respond to mass shootings.

Australia. Port Arthur massacre. Response: much tighter gun laws. Result: a lot less shootings.
UK. Dunblane massacre. Response: much tighter gun laws. Result: a lot less shootings.

US. Massacre after massacre. Response: nothing. Result: massacre after massacre.

11 replies, 828 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to YouDig (Original post)

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 12:30 PM

1. It is undeniable. Tighter gun laws reduce or end this kind of occurrence.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 12:32 PM

2. The Second Amendment

I think only members of a well regulated militia should have access to firearms. "Well regulated" means overseen by the government in a way that weeds out the nut jobs. Unfortunately, the courts do not agree with me.

Reply to this post

Response to HassleCat (Reply #2)

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 12:42 PM

5. When the 2nd was written "well regulated" had nothing to do with being overseen by the government.

"The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected."

Reply to this post

Response to Waldorf (Reply #5)

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 12:50 PM

8. Yes, we've heard these arguments 1000 times

I'm tired of gun-promoting people even though I own guns. Bye.

Reply to this post

Response to Waldorf (Reply #5)

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 12:54 PM

9. Yes, good working order.

For a militia that means being comprised of sane people who will follow directions, not turn on their fellow citizens, etc. A militia cannot function if its members are a bunch of random "patriots" who believe the biggest threat is from their own government.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 12:35 PM

3. "Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 12:38 PM

4. Just heard a guy on MSNBC say 134 this year alone

June 12, 2016. Not even halfway through the year and 134 mass shootings. I've said it before, I'll say it again; STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to Bluzmann57 (Reply #4)

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 12:44 PM

7. This gets definitional; Mother Jones found 72 mass shootings in the US since 1982

They mean things like this: largely random shootings of large groups of people, generally strangers to the shooter.

When people say "134 mass shootings this year" they include for example a brawl in the parking lot of a roadhouse where two bikers pull guns and shoot each other and one other person. Not that that's not bad, but it's not what people think when they say "mass shooting".

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 12:42 PM

6. OTOH I'd rather we focused policy on the "normal" shootings that kill many more people

I get that you have to follow public engagement, and unfortunately it's mass shootings that do that, but if this is a "normal" day 60 people died from "normal" shootings (40 of them suicides) in addition to the 50 at the nightclub. I bring this up because the policies that might address the one problem might not address the other...

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 12:58 PM

10. Yeah, fuck people's constitutional rights!

What other parts of the Bill of Rights do you want to take away to "keep us safe"?

Reply to this post

Response to Odin2005 (Reply #10)

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 01:05 PM

11. Fuck the "right" to have an assault rifle.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread