HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » That VRWC just won't quit

Thu Jul 7, 2016, 07:19 PM

That VRWC just won't quit

State Department reopens internal probe into Hillary Clinton email scandal; administrative sanctions possible - AP http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation-politics/apnewsbreak-state-department-reopens-clinton-emails-probe/?utm_content=buffera3096&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=owned_buffer

8 replies, 1042 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply That VRWC just won't quit (Original post)
StarTrombone Jul 2016 OP
SickOfTheOnePct Jul 2016 #1
lapucelle Jul 2016 #2
SickOfTheOnePct Jul 2016 #3
annavictorious Jul 2016 #4
SickOfTheOnePct Jul 2016 #5
lapucelle Jul 2016 #6
SickOfTheOnePct Jul 2016 #8
Statistical Jul 2016 #7

Response to StarTrombone (Original post)

Thu Jul 7, 2016, 07:22 PM

1. I see no problem with this

There should be administrative sanctions/penalties against those who moved classified information from classified systems down to unclassified systems. In short, if they still have a clearance, it should be revoked, and they should be prohibited from having one in the future.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SickOfTheOnePct (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 7, 2016, 07:50 PM

2. "...who moved classified information from classified systems down to unclassified systems..."

I don't understand what you mean. What's a classified system?

Reply to this post

Response to lapucelle (Reply #2)

Thu Jul 7, 2016, 08:10 PM

3. A classified system

Is an IT system on which classified data resides. It has tighter security and encryption methods that make it more difficult to hack or otherwise compromise. The higher the level of classification, the tighter the security and encryption. Classified systems set on networks maintained and protected at the same classification level. Generally, these distinct networks don't "talk" directly to each other in order to protect classified data. Lower classified or unclassified data can reside on a network at a higher classification, but it's never supposed to be moved to a lower classification level system.

So, for example, unclassified data can reside on an unclassified system, a Secret classified system, or a Top Secret classified system.
Secret data can sit on a Secret classified system or a Top Secret classified system. Top Secret data should never be put on a Secret or unclassified system, and Secret data should never be put on an unclassified system.

Since the networks can't "talk down" to each other, data moving from a higher classification system to a lower classification system has to be moved manually, via thumb drive, DVD or CD. Doing so is a conscious decision - it can't be done accidentally.

Whoever moved the Secret, Top Secret and SAP data down had to have done so intentionally, and that is a violation of the agreement everyone who has a security clearance signs when they are granted the clearance.

Reply to this post

Response to SickOfTheOnePct (Reply #3)

Thu Jul 7, 2016, 08:22 PM

4. Oh, I get it now.

You're another armchair expert.

Your concern is duly noted.

Reply to this post

Response to annavictorious (Reply #4)

Thu Jul 7, 2016, 08:30 PM

5. If working in a classified environment

and dealing with these networks and this data on an almost daily basis for 30 years makes me an "armchair expert", then so be it.

The poster asked me a question and I answered it. The fact that you don't like the answer is irrelevant to the fact that the information itself is correct.

Reply to this post

Response to SickOfTheOnePct (Reply #5)

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 12:47 PM

6. No need to get defensive.

Your concern (and your motive) are duly noted.

Reply to this post

Response to lapucelle (Reply #6)

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 04:02 PM

8. And what motive would that be?

What was your motive in asking a question that you apparently didn't want answered?

Reply to this post

Response to lapucelle (Reply #2)

Fri Jul 8, 2016, 12:49 PM

7. SIPRNet would be an example of a classified "system" (network would be better word choice).

Classified information is segregated to only be accessed on secure systems connected to secure networks (and hopefully) only access by those with clearance and a need to know.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread