HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Katie Tur: My Crazy Year...

Wed Aug 17, 2016, 11:52 AM

Katie Tur: My Crazy Year with Trump

The presidential hopeful has insulted reporter Katy Tur on national TV, called her names during interviews, and made his campaign seemingly impossible to cover. Here, her no-holds-barred account of trailing the most unlikely candidate in GOP history.

In a speech carried live from Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, on at least three TV networks last December, soon-to-be Republican presidential nominee Donald J. Trump was telling the world he wanted to ban Muslims from entering the United States. "It's temporary," he later tried to soften. And then I heard my name.

"She's back there. Little Katy. She's back there."

I was six months into covering the Trump campaign for MSNBC and NBC News, and there I was, in the belly of a World War II battleship, in a press pen made out of bicycle racks, surrounded by thousands of whipped-up Trump supporters.

A few days earlier, at another Trump rally in Raleigh, North Carolina, I'd tweeted live as wave after wave of protestors stood up during his speech. "Now 10," I wrote from the scene, counting the interruptions. "Trump ends speech abruptly and leaves stage."

Trump thought my tweets were "disgraceful" and "not nice!" according to a chastising note from his 26-year-old press secretary, Hope Hicks. In the hours that followed, Trump took his complaints public, trashing me and CBS News reporter Sopan Deb for the coverage.

"@KatyTurNBC & @DebSopan [sic] should be fired for dishonest reporting," he tweeted. "@KatyTurNBC, 3rd rate reporter & @SopanDeb @CBS lied."

He demanded I apologize.

I didn't, so Trump decided to go further in Mount Pleasant, pointing his finger squarely at me and launching a personal attack as millions of Americans watched at home.

"What a lie it was," Trump said, referring to the claim that he had left the stage abruptly. "What a lie. Katy Tur. What a lie it was. Third. Rate. Reporter. Remember that." The crowd's boos ricocheted off the iron hull of the USS Yorktown.

<snip>
http://www.marieclaire.com/politics/a21997/donald-trump-katy-tur/

5 replies, 1193 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Katie Tur: My Crazy Year with Trump (Original post)
cali Aug 2016 OP
Adrahil Aug 2016 #1
cali Aug 2016 #2
SheriffBob Aug 2016 #3
OldEurope Aug 2016 #4
Hekate Aug 2016 #5

Response to cali (Original post)

Wed Aug 17, 2016, 11:56 AM

1. She needs to write a book.

I've enjoyed her reporting. Well, "enjoyed" might be wrong, but you know...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Adrahil (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 17, 2016, 11:57 AM

2. I do too, and I know what you mean. That article is fascinating.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 17, 2016, 11:59 AM

3. The bully bastard maggot trump

put her life in danger. Thank god the SS was there to protect HER!

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 17, 2016, 12:18 PM

4. Thank you for sharing!

A very interesting read.
Rec!

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 17, 2016, 12:20 PM

5. Note to Katy: Must write book.