HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Al Gore: climate change t...

Mon Dec 5, 2016, 08:14 PM

Al Gore: climate change threat leaves 'no time to despair' over Trump victory

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/05/al-gore-climate-change-threat-leaves-no-time-to-despair-over-trump-victory
<snip>

The urgent threat of climate change means there is “no time to despair” over the election of Donald Trump, according to former vice-president Al Gore, who hopes that Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton will join an escalated climate campaign against the president-elect.

Gore told the Guardian he remained hopeful Trump would reverse some of his positions on climate change but predicted an unprecedented backlash from environmentalists over the next four years.

Trump, who has called climate change a hoax, has pledged to withdraw the US from the Paris climate accord, dismantle the Clean Power Plan, slash renewable energy funding and somehow prop up the ailing US coal industry.

His advisers have also advocated cutting climate research at Nasa and completely exiting the international climate effort.

Gore said such threats mean there will “likely be a huge upsurge in climate activism. I’m encouraged that there are groups that are digging in to work even harder. Those groups working in the courts are even more important now; those organizing on campuses are even more important now.

“My message would be that despair is just another form of denial. There is no time to despair. We don’t have time to lick our wounds, to hope for a different election outcome.

-------------------
Well said Al GOre

5 replies, 896 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Al Gore: climate change threat leaves 'no time to despair' over Trump victory (Original post)
malaise Dec 2016 OP
pangaia Dec 2016 #1
R B Garr Dec 2016 #2
malaise Dec 2016 #3
R B Garr Dec 2016 #4
DavidDvorkin Dec 2016 #5

Response to malaise (Original post)

Mon Dec 5, 2016, 08:37 PM

1. I am guessing this was AFTER he met with Ivanka (god I can barely type that) and you know who.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 5, 2016, 08:50 PM

2. I wish Al Gore luck, but I'm guessing he's being set up as a scapegoat to

blame and ridicule for whatever Trump has up his sleeve.

Reply to this post

Response to R B Garr (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 5, 2016, 09:01 PM

3. He's coming up on Chris Hayes

in a few minutes

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 5, 2016, 09:03 PM

4. Awesome! I'll set the recorder...just on my way out for a bit.

Thanks!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 5, 2016, 09:27 PM

5. It's easy to take that position if you're rich

And don't have to worry about food, shelter, and medical care. Millions are more worried about the immediate harm the Trump presidency will do to them than they are about the threat of climate change.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread