HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » JFK was spot on in '62 an...

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 12:37 AM

JFK was spot on in '62 and it should be our message today..

Please...I say again, please watch the entirety of this video. In this speech, JFK laid the groundwork for the bill that would become Medicare. In his time, the AMA opposed it, a subset of doctors opposed it, and their reasoning was the same then as it is today in opposition to the ACA, Medicare, and Medicaid. Yet, JFK's rebuttal remains prescient to our current struggles. When Paul Ryan decries that individual freedoms must allow for a reduction in entitlements, we must demand that our leaders respond the way JFK did and shout "Nothing strips away individual freedom like being faced with medical bills which would otherwise drive us to backruptcy". We must take this stand and take all measures available to ensure our leaders likewise stand with us. (As an aside...I was so inspired by this, I want to run myself for congress against our current rep Dianne Black. I've said before I have dreamed about that fight. Maybe I should make that a reality...either way, as JFK's call at the end pleads, I will fight for those who need a voice.)

16 replies, 2849 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply JFK was spot on in '62 and it should be our message today.. (Original post)
Docreed2003 Jan 2017 OP
Snackshack Jan 2017 #1
Docreed2003 Jan 2017 #3
Snackshack Jan 2017 #5
Docreed2003 Jan 2017 #6
hedda_foil Jan 2017 #13
pangaia Jan 2017 #2
Docreed2003 Jan 2017 #4
rusty quoin Jan 2017 #7
Docreed2003 Jan 2017 #8
Buckeye_Democrat Jan 2017 #9
Docreed2003 Jan 2017 #10
Buckeye_Democrat Jan 2017 #11
Docreed2003 Jan 2017 #12
msongs Jan 2017 #14
area51 Jan 2017 #15
Docreed2003 Jan 2017 #16

Response to Docreed2003 (Original post)

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 12:46 AM

1. Spot on.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Snackshack (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 12:55 AM

3. Thank you...although that thanks should go to those who came before us!

Reply to this post

Response to Docreed2003 (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 01:06 AM

5. It does.

You deserve one as well though.

I can only imagine/dream where we might be today as a nation had he been able to complete his first term and the second which surely would have followed.

Reply to this post

Response to Snackshack (Reply #5)

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 01:27 AM

6. Agreed...

In my own life, I've always identified more with RFK than John. Perhaps it's the fact that I've experienced loss on a much smaller but similar way that Bobby did. I've always seen myself through the lens of Bobby: a fighter for the underdog, a representative of the voiceless, and yet a broken man who is trying to make the world better. It's only been in my adult life that I've discovered the many things that JFK fought for during his presidency. It may sound funny, but I had no idea that JFK had fought for the development of Medicare prior to the "great society" and LBJ, at least until I was an adult. History books have a way of limiting our knowledge.

JFK would certainly have had an incredibly positive impact on this country during his second term, which is one of the reasons why he was gunned down by the powers that be.

Reply to this post

Response to Docreed2003 (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 02:19 AM

13. In fact, at the time it was generally well known that the Great Society programs were JFK's agenda

They all were passed in his honor except, perhaps, for Civil Rights and Voting Rights, for which LBJ deserves full credit.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 12:52 AM

2. I went to this man's funeral.

Reply to this post

Response to pangaia (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 01:01 AM

4. Can't imagine that.

I, myself, am a Gen X-er born in the south. My parents were children when JFK was assassinated. My hope is that our current leaders will take the same position as JFK and courageously stand for the rights of the people. In this twenty minute speech, JFK succinctly stated why healthcare for the elderly should be a right and laid out very clear arguments against those who would oppose it. Those same arguments are just as applicable to the ACA as they were over 40 yrs ago to what would become Medicare.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 01:37 AM

7. Kick ass

Reply to this post

Response to rusty quoin (Reply #7)

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 01:45 AM

8. And do so unapologeticly because we are fighting for the common good

Even though our opposition has power/money on their side. We've won this fight before and we are now forced to fight the same fight again.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 01:46 AM

9. Well argued! I like how he mentioned "general welfare" from...

the Constitution too! That part of the preamble is often ignored!

Reply to this post

Response to Buckeye_Democrat (Reply #9)

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 01:57 AM

10. Exactly...and thank you for noticing that

JFK provided a very clear and concise argument for Medicare, while using the Constitution to shore up his argument. He was clear in how the program would benefit everyone while keeping that discussion within constitutional boundaries. His fight against opponents then are the same we are facing today. We, and our leadership,must look to the past, because the answers are there. We must fight as vocally and effectively as JFK or we risk an alternative that I wouldn't imagine in my worst nightmare.

Reply to this post

Response to Docreed2003 (Reply #10)

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 02:01 AM

11. Then at the end of the video, the ABC reporter mentioned...

the "alternatives" that three Republican senators were going to discuss in a future telecast. Something tells me it was typical GOP fare, with misinformation and fear mongering.

Reply to this post

Response to Buckeye_Democrat (Reply #11)

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 02:08 AM

12. If you look back on the history of what would become Medicare...

The system prior to Medicare was state run and it was a debacle. The GOP wanted to develop a robust state system to care for the elderly, similar to their privatization plans today. The right has not changed. They will always be against a program like SS/Medicare/Medicaid/ACA. Their arguments have not changed...namely, they do not view healthcare as a right. We must use JFK's argument against that noise, or else we will lose the fight.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 02:47 AM

14. "entitlements" is repub propaganda. they are earned benefits we have paid into for a lifetime nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 03:14 AM

15. MLK Jr. quote

Reply to this post

Response to area51 (Reply #15)

Wed Jan 4, 2017, 08:53 AM

16. Great quote! Thank you!

Reply to this post