HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Time to focus exclusively...

Sun May 21, 2017, 09:11 AM

Time to focus exclusively on mobilization. Persuasion is ineffective with hard core Deplorables

Nothing will deter them from their slavish devotion to their messiah. It's the world's biggest cult.There are a few that can be saved but they have to do it for themselves. Let the lost take care of the lost.

Trump's current approval is in the high thirties. That is not enough for him or his party to succeed. We just need to get our voters to the polls.

12 replies, 4290 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Time to focus exclusively on mobilization. Persuasion is ineffective with hard core Deplorables (Original post)
DemocratSinceBirth May 2017 OP
mopinko May 2017 #1
wildeyed May 2017 #2
dalton99a May 2017 #3
Wounded Bear May 2017 #4
TryLogic May 2017 #5
NRaleighLiberal May 2017 #6
33taw May 2017 #7
Jim Lane May 2017 #8
DemocratSinceBirth May 2017 #9
Jim Lane May 2017 #10
DemocratSinceBirth May 2017 #11
bettyellen May 2017 #12

Response to DemocratSinceBirth (Original post)

Sun May 21, 2017, 09:51 AM

1. end voter suppression.

this is my biggest beef w the party. i hope eric holder is gonna change that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun May 21, 2017, 10:49 AM

2. That has always been my tactic.

Some people can't be helped. Better to write them off and move to other activities.

I do still fight the trolls on social networks if they come looking for me. I learned not to ignore that part completely.

Reply to this post

Sun May 21, 2017, 10:54 AM

3. They simply must be outvoted

Fuck them

Reply to this post

Sun May 21, 2017, 10:59 AM

4. It's really hard to educate the willfully ignorant...

so yes, we need to dig into that 40-60% of the population that refuses to vote. Problem is, the propaganda has convinced many of them that "both sides are the same" and so why bother?

Time for serious outreach.

Reply to this post

Sun May 21, 2017, 11:09 AM

5. Exactly

Reply to this post

Sun May 21, 2017, 11:11 AM

6. Republicans are now locked into an impenetrable, unchangeable paradigm so, yes -

not even bothering trying to reach them. They are lost.

And yes, agreed - it is all about not only getting out the vote, but allowing those who should be voting to vote.

Not easy. No easy road ahead.

Reply to this post

Sun May 21, 2017, 11:11 AM

7. There will always be 25% of people who will follow any president regardless of wrong-doing.

There is no reason to wasted time convincing those who select party over country. There are better places to focus our energies.

Reply to this post

Sun May 21, 2017, 11:31 AM

8. You're too pessimistic.

The latest poll showed Trump with a 75% approval rating among Republicans (or maybe it was among the people who had voted for him, I forget which). Yes, 75% is appallingly high, but it's lower than most Presidents rate among the people on their side.

Most of the people who voted for him will do so again, regardless of what happens. Nevertheless, peeling off a quarter of his supporters, or even a tenth of his supporters, would be huge. Absolutely we need to GOTV and counter voter suppression. Bear in mind, though, that persuading a Trump supporter to vote against him counts double -- increasing our total but decreasing his.

He's lost some support already. By the time of the midterms, and still more by 2020, there will be manufacturing jobs that haven't come back, there will be people suffering because of the elimination of environmental protections, etc. We can ignore the hard core but still have plenty of opportunities for persuasion.

Reply to this post

Response to Jim Lane (Reply #8)

Sun May 21, 2017, 12:34 PM

9. The adjective is key

"Hard core"

Reply to this post

Response to DemocratSinceBirth (Reply #9)

Sun May 21, 2017, 01:32 PM

10. Let's not neglect the adverb.

Your subject line recommended that we "focus exclusively on mobilization" (emphasis added). I disagree because I see room for persuasion as well.

Reply to this post

Response to Jim Lane (Reply #10)

Sun May 21, 2017, 01:35 PM

11. You know the nice people who hand out The Watchtower at subway stations and airports

I will give you ten dollars for every one you convince to leave the flock for every one who stays. See who ends up with more money. The ones you might be able to peal away, the nominal followers, who aren't constantly "witnessing" you might have some success with.

I know no one can shake me from my beliefs and give those who hold opposing ones the same credit.

Reply to this post

Sun May 21, 2017, 01:58 PM

12. What will it take to get more men involved?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread