HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Special Elections May She...

Sun May 21, 2017, 07:07 PM

Special Elections May Shed Light on Midterm Strategy

https://politicalwire.com/2017/05/20/special-elections-may-shed-light-midterm-strategy/

"SNIP..............

Washington Post: “Yet in all three races, Democrats have made a tactical decision not to turn the contests into a referendum on Trump’s alleged scandals and instead are focusing on policy decisions by the president and congressional Republicans.”

“Democratic strategists privately say that this might be the recurring theme through the November 2018 midterm elections. Democrats say that they have learned a lesson from the 2016 elections, in which House Democratic candidates relentlessly focused their campaigns on trying to tie Republican incumbents to the personal scandals of Trump or some of his more outlandish policy statements.”

“That strategy failed in almost spectacular fashion.”

New York Times: “The contrast between what Democrats in Washington are consumed by and what their candidates are running on illustrates an emerging challenge for the party as the president becomes ever more engulfed in controversy: For all the misfortunes facing their foe in the White House, Democrats have yet to devise a coherent message on the policies that President Trump used to draw working-class voters to his campaign.”

.................SNIP"

7 replies, 3780 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Special Elections May Shed Light on Midterm Strategy (Original post)
applegrove May 2017 OP
Wellstone ruled May 2017 #1
bettyellen May 2017 #2
LBM20 May 2017 #3
Wellstone ruled May 2017 #4
LBM20 May 2017 #5
Wellstone ruled May 2017 #6
JustAnotherGen May 2017 #7

Response to applegrove (Original post)

Sun May 21, 2017, 07:26 PM

1. You win on the Issues.

Name calling and finger pointing will burn you ass big time. We use to call it a Horse Collar around their neck. And keep the message short and simple Stupid.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Wellstone ruled (Reply #1)

Sun May 21, 2017, 08:59 PM

2. Trump won because of "cultural anxiety", their issues were fear and bigotry

Reply to this post

Response to Wellstone ruled (Reply #1)

Sun May 21, 2017, 09:39 PM

3. Yes and no. Hear me out:

It is important to use issues and substance of course, but it is HOW you use the issues. Every campaign must have a positive message and a negative message tailored to the local constituency. An issues message must also be attached to a VALUES NARRATIVE. It must hit people in heart and the gut, NOT just the head. You see Rob Quist doing this very well in Montana. He is making healthcare a VALUES message WHILE using it to attack Gianforte, framing the Republican as a greedy out of touch millionaire wanting to strip people of healthcare so he can have tax cuts for himself that he doesn't need. It is a great populist issue AND values message.

How much to use Trump as a campaign issue to attack Republicans will depend upon the particular race. It is also very early to be using that. There will be some places that like Trump in 2018 but the right Dem could win if he/she runs the right local campaign on issue and values that matter in the particular place. In purple districts where Trump become especially unpopular, damn right to use Trump against the opponent as ONE issue, but it can't be the only one. So how much and in just what way to use Trump again Republicans will depend on the place and the demographics there. In general, the party can use Trump by saying "Vote for Dems nationally to put on a check on Trump and his culture of corruption!", IF investigations and time bear out that he is in fact very corrupt. You can also GENERALLY attack Republicans on votes they have taken which Trump favored, depending, again, on the location.

Reply to this post

Response to LBM20 (Reply #3)

Sun May 21, 2017, 11:10 PM

4. You are right about the use of a Trump narrative.

in this next cycle,this should be a usage item. My hunch is we will see more of the Bread and Butter issues. If these Rethugs blow up health care and do their intended Wealth Transfer,damn I could even run a stressful campaign.

Reply to this post

Response to Wellstone ruled (Reply #4)

Mon May 22, 2017, 06:31 AM

5. Yup. But always attach issues to VALUES. Political messaging must go to heart and gut, not just

the "head." People vote their pocketbook and they vote their emotions, and that is just the reality. You always need an emotional, values narrative to which issues like healthcare and tax policy are attached. And yes, use Trump against them depending on location and in a broad national sense on corruption/division/untrustworthiness (i.e. He betrayed us on what he said he was going to do (i.e. "drain the swamp", "great inexpensive healthcare for everyone" etc.) when compared to what he has actually done.)

Reply to this post

Response to LBM20 (Reply #5)

Mon May 22, 2017, 01:15 PM

6. Here is a statement which a Senator coined in the late fifties.

"Empty Bellies means empty heads",to this day this statement is so true. One has to remember,most campaign slogans or sales pitches are created and tested during previous campaign seasons. And we are seeing the next GOP slogans being tested,they are blaming the Hillary Campaign for ACA lack of repeal,they are blaming the so called Liberal Left and those non Christians for for their lack of Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid Privatization.

This shit sells to the low information twits worried about there next fix,or some Brown Skinned person getting free food at the Pantry.

After many years of Volunteering at ACORN I have seen this ugly movie many a time.

Reply to this post

Response to applegrove (Original post)

Mon May 22, 2017, 01:26 PM

7. I don't believe there should be one cohesive message

I simply don't.

Phil Murphy is running directly at Christie and Trump - and he will be our next governor.

Phil's approach would never work in Arkansas or Oklahoma where abortion, same sex marriage, prayer in schools would work. Property taxes and education would be a loser in Mississippi. Port Security and infrastructure as a means to prosperity won't work in Montana.

I think and hope regional and state approaches ares used in 2018.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread