HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I can NOT understand. Wha...

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 12:57 AM

I can NOT understand. What is it

that makes so many people dislike Hillary?

Especially, why do any liberals/progressives hate her? (And we saw, during the primaries, that many did.) Why do any young people hate her?

24 replies, 2206 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply I can NOT understand. What is it (Original post)
pnwmom Sep 2017 OP
applegrove Sep 2017 #1
fallout87 Sep 2017 #3
LeftInTX Sep 2017 #4
applegrove Sep 2017 #8
better Sep 2017 #12
susanna Sep 2017 #14
shraby Sep 2017 #6
applegrove Sep 2017 #9
fallout87 Sep 2017 #2
FM123 Sep 2017 #5
JI7 Sep 2017 #7
unblock Sep 2017 #10
world wide wally Sep 2017 #11
PdxSean Sep 2017 #13
Laffy Kat Sep 2017 #15
NBachers Sep 2017 #16
ihaveaquestion Sep 2017 #17
pnwmom Sep 2017 #18
TexasProgresive Sep 2017 #19
Atman Sep 2017 #20
melman Sep 2017 #23
Ilsa Sep 2017 #21
betsuni Sep 2017 #22
Dave Starsky Sep 2017 #24

Response to pnwmom (Original post)

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:00 AM

1. Hatred grinned up on social media by the GOP. They started in 2012 and never let up.

HILLARY!!! this and HILLARY!!! that that for 4 years straight.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to applegrove (Reply #1)

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:01 AM

3. they

started way before 2012. Started in the 90s

Reply to this post

Response to fallout87 (Reply #3)

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:02 AM

4. It started when Bill ran for governor!

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:12 AM

8. I was less involved in us politics in the 90s. I'm sure you are right.

Reply to this post

Response to applegrove (Reply #8)

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:50 AM

12. I was less involved then too

But I came of voting age in '93 and I was already very keenly aware of it, especially having grown up in the South. Fortunately, Bush 43 vetoing funding expansion for SCHIP wiped the scales from my eyes with regard to what modern Republicans are really about, and I started to recognize it for what it was. But yes, it does go back to the 90's, without even a shred of doubt.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:57 AM

14. Thank you so much because YES. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to applegrove (Reply #1)

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:04 AM

6. They started right after Bill became president and didn't stop even today.

Maybe they suspected she was on her way to running for president some day so they "tainted her" as much as possible.

Reply to this post

Response to shraby (Reply #6)

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:13 AM

9. They probably did.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:01 AM

2. Not that I agree with them

But from the ones I've talked to in my age range (millennials) she just doesn't relate to them. Plus they always bring up wall street, Bill and women, etc. Again, just reporting what I've heard over and over again.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:03 AM

5. ....and why do they STILL feel that way, especially now since we have that "thing" in the WH

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:06 AM

7. because she is an ambitious woman

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:16 AM

10. Brainwashing works

I know someone who voted for hillary, recognizing that trump was going to be a disaster, but insisted that there was "just something that bothered him" about hillary.

Every time I pressed him he couldn't come up with anything concrete. Finally I asked him, do you thing you just have a negative impression of her because you've seen negative coverage of her in the media for 25 years and even though they never find anything, it still leaves a negative impression?

He just looked at me like I was from another planet. People have a tough time recognizing that we're *all* human and therefore capable of being manipulated.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:20 AM

11. Fox News was born out of the Republican assault on Bill Clinton that culminated in the Monica

Lewinski scandal and they have not let up one little bit in slandering the Clintons ever since. That is a 24/7 assault on her for about 25 years.
I don't think any of us could withstand that. Even if it is 99% bullshit.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 01:53 AM

13. I dare you to try to calculate the $billions spent in negative "advertising."

My conservative estimate is that four or five billion dollars has easily been spent by right-wing media (Koch brothers,
Fox, various wing-nut authors and radio personalities, etc.) plus republican controlled government entities (Whitewater, Benghazi, Lewinsky, etc.) and "christian" leaders from the pulpit, all for the purpose of getting, slandering, berating, libeling, accusing, deriding or otherwise sewing hate towards the Clintons, especially after Hillary Clinton had the audacity to run for the Presidency.

Few humans could survive such an onslaught of hate.

And yet, she still stands. That alone is pretty amazing when ya stop to think about it.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 02:14 AM

15. Misogyny. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 03:45 AM

16. "Clintonism" is a term of contempt and derision even here on Democratic Underground.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 03:52 AM

17. Sorry, but I don't have strong feelings about her either way...

and I really don't understand people who do.

Objectively, I think she would have made a fine president and I voted for her for president (and for senator when I lived in New York). I just don't have an emotional response to her. She leaves me cold and, honestly, I'm baffled about the whole "love her or hate her" debate.

Reply to this post

Response to ihaveaquestion (Reply #17)

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 04:08 AM

18. I'm not trying to start a love-her or hate-her debate. Watching her tonight, I'm just reminded

of how reasonable, smart, calm, and thoughtful she is -- in other words, she'd have made a "fine President." And so I can't understand the vitriol.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 06:11 AM

19. Something I heard in a recent interview with Sec. Clinton rang true.

The interviewer made a statement that studies have shown that men and women have favorable attitudes for men who are powerful, not so for women. Clinton has always had strong leadership and organizational skills that would've propelled her into political or business stratosphere had she been an man. I would like to read these studies because other nations don't seem to have this prejudice, the UK and Germany for example.

Racism, sexism and national chauvinism seem to be printed in our genetic codes. I voted for HRC but was concerned that if she became president that the opposition to her would make that faced by President Obama for 8 years look like a cake walk. My other concern is that the haters would either not vote or vote for her opponent. I had this discussion with an elderly lady I know. She say in HRC her last chance for a woman president in her life time. I wish that all women had the same attitude, but the truth is, many women are sadly as misogynistic as many men, especially towards strong confident women who don't depend upon a man.

This may be one of the reason for calling her a lesbian. They can't wrap their puny little minds around the fact that a woman as strong as Clinton can be heterosexual. SAD!

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 06:15 AM

20. We're not allowed to say on DU.

Seriously, I could give you a very honest answer, but it would be alerted on in 30 seconds. C'est la vie.

Reply to this post

Response to Atman (Reply #20)

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 06:30 AM

23. Exactly

Asking this question here guarantees only one kind of response. Those the OP finds pleasing.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 06:28 AM

21. Envy, too.

She married a flawed (aren't we all?), but interesting, funny, loving, intelligent man with big ideas to help millions of people. She has a fabulous daughter. She came from the middle class and was in Washington early on. She tends to be successful at everything she tries, and when she isn't, she gets up and goes back to work in doing good. People envy her intellect, her abilities, and the wonderful life she has built for herself.

I admire her, not envy her, because I don't want to be in public life.

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 06:29 AM

22. I keep thinking about this while watching her interviews.

Are Americans especially easy targets for propaganda these days or what?

Reply to this post

Fri Sep 15, 2017, 06:36 AM

24. IMO, a lot of it is massive weapons-grade astroturfing.

This business with Russia has me questioning everything I see on the Internet. EVERYTHING. Certainly every "popular" opinion.

I avoid Facebook and Twitter like the plague. The people I know who spend a lot of time on those things tell me the craziest shit I have ever heard--stuff that even the most rudimentary common sense would demonstrate is patently false.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread