HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » International » Americans Abroad (Group) » Portugal, Spain or France...

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:03 AM

Portugal, Spain or France??

Iím thinking if taking a month next spring and do either:
Portugal, (Likely Faro area) , or Barcelona suburbs near the ocean, or Southeast France- (Perpignan?) .

Anyone familiar with these areas, would you make sone recommendations? I like history, architecture, art, military, and good food. Do you have good tips?

5 replies, 715 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Portugal, Spain or France?? (Original post)
James48 Nov 24 OP
elleng Nov 24 #1
msongs Nov 24 #2
TreasonousBastard Nov 24 #3
Travel Hat Nov 24 #4
Crazyleftie Nov 24 #5

Response to James48 (Original post)

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:23 AM

1. Can't say I have good tips,

haven't been to Portugal.

Did drive around France (with young family, so choose France 'cause I studied French.) Also visited cities in Spain, including a few days in Barcelona.

Can't miss by visiting Spain and France for history, architecture, art, and good food.

Train from southern France to Spain possible.

Bon voyage!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:28 AM

2. one reads that barcelona is high crime nt

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 01:42 AM

3. In a month you could easily do all three.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 07:54 AM

4. Just got back from a tour in Spain last month

I'm not a tour fan but I went on one sponsored by National Geographic and run by G Adventures. Very pleased with the experience.

Started in Madrid and a day trip in Toledo. Then took a train to Cordoba and saw the La Mezquita de Cordoba, a must see. and then onto Granada and an other must see , the Alhambra. Ended in Sevilla and the Real Alcazar castle. Check websites for entry requirements.

Travel by train in all 3 of countries is fast and easy and interconnected. You should look into a Euro-rail pass.

And about flights. I had 3 flights going there and coming home. 4 of the 6 flights where delayed by 2 hours or more. Took Air Canada and Lufthansa. It was a mess! And I don't see getting any better anytime soon. Suggest that you fly in a day early.

Spain is beautifully. The food was great, the architecture is amazing, and the people wonderful.

Happy Travels.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 08:41 AM

5. any one of those is excellent but

you must avoid the holidays...
we were in France during Mayday...everyone takes a week off and ALL venues were crowded
we were in Portugal during Easter...same thing because masses of Spaniards escape to Portugal

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread