German stadium evacuated ahead of soccer match with Netherlands
This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by TexasTowelie (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).
Source: CNN.COM
(CNN)A sports stadium in Hannover, Germany, was evacuated Tuesday evening ahead of a scheduled friendly soccer match between the Netherlands and Germany, police said.
No reason was immediately given for the evacuation and the cancellation of the game.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and at least three other top government officials were expected to attend the match, Merkel's office said.
The game had not yet started when the evacuation was ordered.
Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/17/europe/germany-netherlands-soccer-canceled/index.html
SoCalNative
(4,613 posts)because of a a suspicious object found in the stadium.
leftynyc
(26,060 posts)they found a truck bomb disguised as an ambulance:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10141262896
That's from Bloomberg but just a breaking alert, no link to an article.
eggplant
(4,232 posts)Do something minor that requires an ambulance, which would get waved right inside.
Fucking assholes.
leftynyc
(26,060 posts)With disastrous results (disastrous for the victims, not the perpetrators). Merkel was supposed to attend the game. There is also a game at Wembly stadium tonight that Prince William is supposed to attend. Scary stuff.
dorkzilla
(5,141 posts)and nothing was said about an ambulance (yet) but that would be a sneaky but effective move.
LiberalArkie
(19,916 posts)spawned the Lethal Weapon and and the others movie where all the terrorists were from Germany and Belgium?
Wash. state Desk Jet
(3,426 posts)Terror threat in Germany: Football match against Holland is cancelled after tip-off from French police that jihadists were going to launch Paris-style gun and bomb attack on stadium
Police said they were forced to cancel the match because they had 'concrete information' about a bomb threat
Germany were due to take on Holland in an international friendly at the HDI Arena in Hanover tonight
But the match was cancelled around 90 minutes before kick-off when a package was discovered in the ground
Police had earlier removed a suspicious suitcase from the ground and closed off roads leading into the area
A second suspicious device was also found in a train station close to the stadium, according to local reports
One report claimed an ambulance packed with explosives has been found outside the arena
German Chancellor Angela Merkel had been expected to attend the match with members of her cabinet
By KATIE LOUISE DAVIES FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 14:22 EST, 17 November 2015 | UPDATED: 17:03 EST, 17 November 2015
Germany cancelled a football match against Holland in Hanover just 90 minutes before kick-off after receiving 'concrete information' about a terror threat.
A concert venue in the city was also evacuated amid heightened security concerns in the wake of last week's atrocities in Paris.
One report on a local newspaper website claimed an ambulance packed with explosives was found outside the HDI Arena.
There were also reports of a known trouble-maker, who was held at gunpoint by police outside the ground.
According to an NTV reporter on CNN, a second suspicious device was found in a train station close to the stadium.
Announcements at the 45,000-capacity stadium in northern Germany advised fans to leave calmly and that there was no danger. Most fans were still waiting outside when the order to evacuate came
It came as spectators in the 14,000-capacity TUI-Arena, which is located close-by, were evacuated. A band, The Söhne Mannheims, were meant to be playing there tonight. The gig is expected to go ahead as planned.
German newspaper Bild has reported that French intelligence officials warned their German counterparts about a potential attack before the match.
According to the paper, a North African terror cell was planning to attack Hanover with assault rifles and suicide vests - chillingly similar to the methods used in Paris on Friday.
They also reported an Iraqi sleeper agent may have planned the attack.
Top government officials including Chancellor Angela Merkel had been scheduled to attend the match to send a signal that Germany wouldn't bow to terrorism in the wake of the Paris attacks.
A German security official has denied reports that explosives were found outside the stadium.
Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said the friendly match in the northern city of Hannover was canceled after German authorities received information about a possible planned attack on the stadium.
He said: 'There is a general threat. Regularly we receive information about threats against Germany, especially after an attack like in Paris.
We have to analyse them, and need to judge them properly and fast.
'Ahead of this match we got more information that made us make the decision to cancel the game.
'The information came late, we couldnt do it earlier. I cannot give any comment on the source - that would make our work harder in future.'
Boris Pistorius, the local interior minister, said: 'This was a bitter decision, especially for me as Minister of Interior and Sports, but we made it for the security of the people.
'It would have been irresponsible, we had no doubt.
'We will have a greater police presence in Hanover all night.'
Germany game against Netherlands called off over bomb fears



TexasTowelie
(128,150 posts)Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.
See duplicate thread at http://www.democraticunderground.com/10141262862 .