HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Turkey officials to deman...

Thu Jul 28, 2016, 02:00 PM

Turkey officials to demand extradition of Fethullah Gülen from US

Source: The Guardian

Turkey’s foreign and justice ministers are due to travel to the US to demand the extradition of Fethullah Gülen, the US-based Turkish imam accused by the government of masterminding the abortive coup attempt that led to the deaths of 265 people and the dismissal of tens of thousands of public servants.

The Turkish justice minister Bekir Bozdag on Thursday accused Gülen of plotting the coup for decades, and said he would have returned to Turkey if the military plotters had not been thwarted. He had warned that Gülen, who has lived in rural Pennyslvania for years, could flee the US to seek political asylum to Australia, Mexico, Canada, South Africa or Egypt.

Turkish officials say they regard the evidence of Gülen complicity as overwhelming, and that any failure by the US to cooperate with the extradition will have long-term consequences for Turkish-US diplomatic relations.

Some Turkish media outlets have claimed a former US general John Campbell, who retired from the US-led military coalition in Afghanistan in May, planned the failed coup. The allegation has been rejected as absurd.

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/28/turkey-fethullah-gulen-extradition-coup-attempt

I'm not so sure we will hand this guy over. Especially when threats are made.

4 replies, 931 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Turkey officials to demand extradition of Fethullah Gülen from US (Original post)
NWCorona Jul 2016 OP
exboyfil Jul 2016 #1
cstanleytech Jul 2016 #2
maxsolomon Jul 2016 #3
NWCorona Jul 2016 #4

Response to NWCorona (Original post)

Thu Jul 28, 2016, 02:02 PM

1. Don't worry

Turkey will just send a drone with a Hellfire to blast his house and everyone in it.

Wait that is us.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to exboyfil (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 28, 2016, 02:05 PM

2. Unless he suddenly moved to a hostile area in a foreign country that isnt going to happen. nt

Reply to this post

Response to NWCorona (Original post)

Thu Jul 28, 2016, 02:50 PM

3. Indict him

Last edited Thu Jul 28, 2016, 04:26 PM - Edit history (1)

then formally request extradition. Show the compelling evidence in a court. You know, follow the rules.

Reply to this post

Response to maxsolomon (Reply #3)

Thu Jul 28, 2016, 02:52 PM

4. I believe they tried that before but the evidence wasn't compelling to say the least.

I personally don't know much about the guy.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread