HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Americans of both major p...

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 10:26 AM

Americans of both major parties say infrastructure has worsened; want more spending: poll

Source: Reuters

Nearly half of registered U.S. voters think American infrastructure has deteriorated in the last five years, a national poll released on Tuesday found, with Republicans taking the dimmer view.

While the poll showed that a bipartisan majority believes more infrastructure funding would positively affect the economy, those surveyed held different views on the nation's recent infrastructure changes.

Forty-one percent of Democrats said infrastructure has gotten worse over the last five years, while 53 percent of Republicans took that view.

Republican voters tend to be older and male, and Democratic voters younger and more diverse, said Kip Eideberg, vice president of public affairs and advocacy for the Association of Equipment Manufacturers, which commissioned the poll.
"The older voters tend to be more pessimistic and they tend to have a view that it was a lot better in the past, whereas younger voters tend to be more optimistic," Eideberg told Reuters.

The poll surveyed 1,975 registered voters between June 17-20. It had a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-infrastructure-poll-idUSKCN10K0YI

17 replies, 1598 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Americans of both major parties say infrastructure has worsened; want more spending: poll (Original post)
uawchild Aug 2016 OP
geek tragedy Aug 2016 #1
NewJeffCT Aug 2016 #4
Canoe52 Aug 2016 #2
whatthehey Aug 2016 #3
NewJeffCT Aug 2016 #7
whatthehey Aug 2016 #11
47of74 Aug 2016 #13
mainer Aug 2016 #5
maxsolomon Aug 2016 #8
Igel Aug 2016 #10
bucolic_frolic Aug 2016 #6
Initech Aug 2016 #9
hibbing Aug 2016 #12
Ford_Prefect Aug 2016 #14
McKim Aug 2016 #15
landolfi Aug 2016 #16
benld74 Aug 2016 #17

Response to uawchild (Original post)

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 10:36 AM

1. problem is Republicans don't want to pay for it nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to geek tragedy (Reply #1)

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 11:01 AM

4. they'll "pay" for it by offering huge tax breaks

for large corporations and privatizing roads, bridges, airports, rail, water, electrical grid, etc.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 10:43 AM

2. Easy to explain

It's all Obama's fault!

He kept proposing spending money on infrastructure, but for some reason he couldn't get any repukes to go along with it.

Maybe he just didn't try hard enough?.

(Do I really need to add the sarcasm thingy? Or is it obvious enough?)

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 10:55 AM

3. You'd think this would be more a Republican thing really

The perception that is, not the willingness to invest public money in fixing it.

Demographically, in all but religion, I'm an archetypal Republican. White, suburban affluent, upper management, married heterosexual male who lives in a small c conservative manner. That means I'm concerned about things being kept up well and used appropriately. I care more than most youngsters if my car rattles from potholes (telling anecdote is that I turned down a job in Madison WI for that reason alone. Quite luckily as it turned out because a few months later I was disabled and unable to deal with snow, but the truly godawful lunarscape roads were the criterion) and I fear, in an objective way, collapses and subsidence. Politics aside, my sociocultural norms are those of Republicans so I know damn well my concerns are likely to be shared by most of em. The only problem is they want toll roads and private funding as the solution.

Reply to this post

Response to whatthehey (Reply #3)

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 11:16 AM

7. Interesting about Madison

I'm in kind of the same boat as you - affluent married white heterosexual male. Because of my skill set, I've been contacted about jobs in my field all over the country. Madison, Wisconsin stood out to me because it was the one city that I had been contacted about that I heard nothing negative about. (I would often post in the Lounge here and in another online forum) - even if I heard mostly positives about an area, there were generally a few negatives that people mentioned. Nothing negative on Madison. Nobody had anything bad to say about the city and the area.

I would say I've been contacted about jobs over the past 15 or so years in nearly all of the top 50 metro areas in the US except those in the Pacific Northwest and a few in the Midwest like St. Louis/Kansas City (though, I was recently contacted about a job in the Lawrence, KS area) and Salt Lake City. And, I've traveled to interview at many as well.

Reply to this post

Response to NewJeffCT (Reply #7)

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 11:32 AM

11. It's a wonderful place in many ways

Very liberal, college vibe and diversity (well by WI standards), quite a strong community spirit, big enough to have most fun amenities without being so huge as to be unmanageable and hour-to-get-anywhere like, say, Houston.

But the goddamn roads... It's not like I'm ignorant of frost heaves. I lived in even colder St Paul for a decade, but the potholes there are few and tiny and fleeting compared to the 6-month craterblasted nature of roads in Madison. If you don't worry about a rattly car and suspension rebuilds every couple years it's a great place - if you can handle winters of course.

Reply to this post

Response to whatthehey (Reply #11)

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 11:57 AM

13. Yeah I love Madison too.

It's a very nice city.

I had an accident last fall there and it was like pulling teeth afterwards dealing with county and state government up there when it came time to have my car towed from the place where the highway patrol put it up to the body shop. They acted like the address of the place where my car was put after the accident was on a need to know basis and I didn't need to know. There were a couple days when you could've seen the steam coming out of my ears dealing with these people.

Still I'm very fond of Madison and would have no problem living there, even with the roads as they are.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 11:09 AM

5. Angus King described the problem to me once.

He was in Northern Maine, where one woman harangued him about all the taxes she paid. Then, as he was about to leave, she yelled: "And when are you gonna fix the potholes?!!"

That, Angus pointed out, is the problem.

Reply to this post

Response to mainer (Reply #5)

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 11:22 AM

8. Just take it out of "waste", obviously!

Every Budget Hawk who tries that BS on me gets linked to the NYT interactive "budget puzzle". It's always an eye-opener:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/13/weekinreview/deficits-graphic.html

Reply to this post

Response to mainer (Reply #5)

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 11:30 AM

10. Yup.

We want low(er) taxes and high levels of service. Can't have both.

Then again, Federal taxes should be spent on the common good, things that pretty much everybody uses. That should be the priority. Even a bridge over the Yaquina River or upgrading the port there is open to all and benefits "the common good". For a lot of funding, you really have to belong to a narrow demographic to access the benefits, with the justification "well, if one of us suffers, we all suffer."

In days when the Federal government was a small amount of the GDP, this wasn't a big problem. It was more clear how to spend money. Now that it's a fifth of the economy, there's a lot of ways to use the money. Cut one narrowly defined group, and you lose voters and their "oh, no, I could be next" supporters.

Upping the pay for federally financed infrastructure work also sounds great. At the same time, it means that a lot of those workers make more than their employers, taxpayers, and less can be built with the same funds. With more and more people saying their "fair share" of federal income tax to be paid is $0, that starts flipping the serf/lord scenario.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 11:13 AM

6. Privatization adds profit incentives plus corruption

so it's more expensive and only benefits the wealthy investors of the
companies that own the privatization

I think we still struggle with measuring efficiency for things like public goods

Here in PA the turnpike, toll road, can't deal with micro-burst blizzards
I think it's a public-private entity that owns it.

Replacement bridges -- most all private, and very expensive. All the info is
public - payments to engineers, managers, construction companies etc.

Civil engineers never had it so good.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 11:29 AM

9. I would say we end *ALL* wars, bring our troops home and rebuild our infrastructure.

Which would pay for itself hundreds of times over, but as George Carlin said we don't have time for rational solutions!

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 11:40 AM

12. But we need to "rebuild our military"!!!

Because well know that it has been decimated even though their budget keeps getting increased every year. And little Marco must have said 700 ship Navy 20 times in one debate. We can't have nice things like other modern countries.

Peace

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 12:22 PM

14. How about we don't invest in exotic, useless, excessively complicated aircraft which don't work

in the rain, and cannot target objects without rebooting the radar several times, and can't fly well enough to defeat planes built 50 years ago, cannot carry enough load to perform ground support effectively, are too vulnerable to ground fire to fly close air support, and cost more per copy (with maintenance) than the budgets of several less populous states and some 3rd world countries

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 12:25 PM

15. A Month in France Showed Me that Our Infrastructure is Shameful

I recently returned from a month in France where citizens enjoy a beautiful and well maintained transportation infrastructure and amazing cultural infrastructure. We could have that if we weren't spending so much on maintaining a military and economic empire.

We saw beautiful train stations with nice shops, grocery stores, services handy for commuters and travelers. It was so uplifting to see what we could have if we pushed for it. Returning to the US and experiencing the Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York City showed us how far we have fallen in providing public services, especially to economically marginalized groups. It was shameful. Come on,
America, we can do better!

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 12:31 PM

16. Another idea introduced by our current President

that no one paid attention to at the time, but now it sounds like a great idea. Imagine what things could be like if we didn't have McConnell, Ryan, and other vermin like them blocking every idea Obama ever expressed...

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 9, 2016, 01:44 PM

17. ANYONE can see the current infrastructure problems ALL around

Electrical
Sewers
Roads
STL roads are just terrible, I HATE to drive on them.
God only know about the sewers and power grid.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread