HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Judge's ruling is a blow ...

Sat Aug 27, 2016, 03:53 PM

Judge's ruling is a blow to Florida's third-grade testing rules

Source: Tampa Bay Times

A Leon County circuit court judge has come down in favor of families challenging Florida's third-grade retention practices, ruling that school districts ignored the children's right to alternative forms of promotion and the state Department of Education allowed that to happen.

A group of parents from six counties, including Hernando and Pasco, challenged the state law that requires third-graders to pass a state reading test or be held back a year. They also alleged that officials weren't properly following the law anyway.

The law offers alternative ways for third-graders to be promoted, including a portfolio of their work over the school year. But the parents alleged that their school districts, on the state's advice, denied their children that opportunity.

"From what I have seen and understand of the ruling at this point, I couldn't be happier," said Michelle Rhea, an Orange County parent who is the lead plaintiff in the lawsuit. "Feels great to have such a big victory against such an overwhelming system."

Read more: http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/testing/judges-ruling-is-a-blow-to-floridas-third-grade-testing-rules/2291158

I think this is wonderful news, supporting the rights of parents who have become concerned about the dramatic increases is high stakes standardized testing.

2 replies, 1401 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Judge's ruling is a blow to Florida's third-grade testing rules (Original post)
d_r Aug 2016 OP
sakabatou Aug 2016 #1
Paka Aug 2016 #2

Response to d_r (Original post)

Sat Aug 27, 2016, 04:26 PM

1. Not to mention that it helps those who are disabled

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to d_r (Original post)

Sat Aug 27, 2016, 08:18 PM

2. Great decision.

Standardized tests have been around for decades and they always were an albatross within the system, but the recent increase in number and focus on impact are destructive and run counter to the very purpose of education.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread