HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » (DFLer) U.S. Rep. Rick No...

Fri Feb 9, 2018, 12:02 PM

(DFLer) U.S. Rep. Rick Nolan won't run for re-election in 8th District (Minnesota)

Source: Star Tribune

U.S. Rep. Rick Nolan said Friday that he will not run for re-election when his term ends in 2018.

"Now is the time for me to pass the baton to the next generation," Nolan said in a statement announcing his retirement.

Nolan, 74, has won two tough re-election battles in his northeastern Minnesota district since his election in 2012.

After a months-long dalliance with a run for governor in 2018, Nolan announced last summer that he would run for re-election in the Eighth Congressional District.

In a one-page statement issued Friday, he promised to "finish strong" the remaining months of his term.

Read more: http://www.startribune.com/nolan-won-t-run-for-re-election/473572863/

DFL is the Minnesota term for Democrat. This is a traditionally blue district that went for Trump in 2016 but reelected Nolan. He was facing an endorsement challenge in the party from a (my opinion, problematic and inexperienced) newcomer. This throws the district into strong purple territory and will be a fucking mess as well as a money sinkhole.

5 replies, 2006 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply (DFLer) U.S. Rep. Rick Nolan won't run for re-election in 8th District (Minnesota) (Original post)
WhiskeyGrinder Feb 2018 OP
NBachers Feb 2018 #1
pandr32 Feb 2018 #2
WhiskeyGrinder Feb 2018 #3
WhiskeyGrinder Feb 2018 #4
Weed Man Feb 2018 #5

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Original post)

Fri Feb 9, 2018, 12:25 PM

1. This is not news I like to read.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 9, 2018, 12:27 PM

2. We'll have to win this seat again

Tough district or not! Let's put a strong person in there.

Reply to this post

Response to pandr32 (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 9, 2018, 12:31 PM

3. There's a pretty good bench but we're into the season already; it'll be interesting to see who

steps up.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 9, 2018, 12:34 PM

4. I've seen some chitchat that his daughter, who has been living with advanced lung cancer for several

years, has taken a turn for the worse. Thoughts to her.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 9, 2018, 02:33 PM

5. No Republican can be elected in 2018.

So you do not have any purples. Just either blue or red. And the red will be on a very long losing streak for the next generation or fifty.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread