HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Brian Kemp's lead over St...

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 02:16 AM

Brian Kemp's lead over Stacey Abrams narrows amid voting complaints in Georgia governor

Source: Washington Post

Among the calls logged at a voter hotline run by a consortium of voting rights groups including the NAACP, the American Civil Liberties Union and Common Cause were complaints from hundreds of voters who said their requests for absentee ballots went unanswered. Voters — and advocates — said they were chagrined at how many of those reports came from communities with large minority populations.

“From our vantage point, this was an intentional system failure in targeting communities where African Americans made up a high percentage of active voters,” said NAACP President Derrick Johnson.

Peggy Xu, 23, was one of those voters. Xu provided emails to The Washington Post showing that she requested an absentee ballot from Fulton County on Oct. 6 and said she later saw on the secretary of state’s website that one had been sent to her. But she never received it, she said. She tried again, didn’t receive the second ballot either and was not able to vote, she said.

“I’m furious,” she said. “I was genuinely excited to vote for her. But now, seeing this razor-thin margin, and seeing how many voter suppression issues are going on, it’s driving me a little crazy, especially knowing that this has affected so many voters.”

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/brian-kemps-lead-over-stacey-abrams-narrows-amid-voting-complaints-in-georgia-governors-race/2018/11/07/39cf25f2-e2b7-11e8-b759-3d88a5ce9e19_story.html

Kemp also had voting machines delivered without power cords, so they would run on batteries which would quickly die.

6 replies, 4565 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Brian Kemp's lead over Stacey Abrams narrows amid voting complaints in Georgia governor (Original post)
Yosemito Nov 2018 OP
sheshe2 Nov 2018 #1
diva77 Nov 2018 #2
watoos Nov 2018 #4
diva77 Nov 2018 #6
icymist Nov 2018 #3
KPN Nov 2018 #5

Response to Yosemito (Original post)

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 02:48 AM

1. I am furious as well.

K&R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 03:00 AM

2. Unfortunately, Brian KKKemp isn't the first nor will he be the last elections official

to employ these tactics.

But hopefully with all the publicity election fraud is getting from this, the election protection movement will gather more momentum and ideally dispense with computerized equipment altogether. HCPB at the precinct level with public oversight is the way to go!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to diva77 (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 07:31 AM

4. Paper ballots is the way to go

Unfortunately I see no push for this, but I do see that Ivanka is coming out with a Chinese made voting machine.

Reply to this post

Response to watoos (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 05:11 PM

6. selling voting machines is a way to launder public funds

the vendors waaaaaay overcharge all the time and a lot of elections officials mysteriously retire early to posh digs.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 04:09 AM

3. K & R

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 8, 2018, 09:40 AM

5. Is there a basis for a House Investigation of Georgia voter suppression/Kemp?

I'm thinking that is a DOJ thing but don't really know. We can't just let this happen and move on. Thast's basically what has happened over the past almost 40 years (no accountability) and things have only gotten worse.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread