Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

pecosbob

(7,654 posts)
Sun Jan 27, 2019, 09:13 PM Jan 2019

McCarthy: GOP Will Name Members Of The House Intelligence Committee 'Next Week'

Source: Interview today on NBC with Chuck Todd

Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee are waiting for their Republican counterparts to be named.

McCarthy: I'll appoint the Republican members of the House Intelligence Committee "next week." pic.twitter.com/CKVNzZ6tbI

— TPM Livewire (@TPMLiveWire) January 27, 2019

Read more: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/mccarthy-gop-will-name-members-of-the-house-intelligence-committee-next-week



McCarthy blames the delay on Democratic members, of course.
18 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
McCarthy: GOP Will Name Members Of The House Intelligence Committee 'Next Week' (Original Post) pecosbob Jan 2019 OP
Change the rules, Nancy! Don't let these fools delay. sharedvalues Jan 2019 #1
+1. If they don't want to show up, change the rules to proceed without them. dalton99a Jan 2019 #6
Slight modification, change the rules so its stated that failure to appoint members means cstanleytech Jan 2019 #12
So the Democrats forced McCarthy to not do his job? guillaumeb Jan 2019 #2
I suspect his delaying is about 95% obstructionist game-playing, but the other 5% is probably RockRaven Jan 2019 #3
That was my thought as well. pecosbob Jan 2019 #4
+1 EveHammond13 Jan 2019 #7
No that is not it...they can't send the transcripts of those who testified before the committee Demsrule86 Jan 2019 #18
Like it matters. paleotn Jan 2019 #5
I wonder if there's a deadline for the minority to name committee members? Honeycombe8 Jan 2019 #8
Gotta name at least one rat who will go back and report everything to Trump. Marie Marie Jan 2019 #9
What i was thinking. Amaryllis Jan 2019 #14
At first I thought this was obstruction... GulfCoast66 Jan 2019 #10
Their job is going to pretty much consist of of SDASTFU pecosbob Jan 2019 #11
LOL. Took me a minute to figure out what you meant. But spot on!! GulfCoast66 Jan 2019 #13
Dear Dog, I hope Nunes is named. denbot Jan 2019 #15
Nunes has already been appointed as ranking member co-chair DeminPennswoods Jan 2019 #16
Gee, what's the rush? Amiright? Texin Jan 2019 #17

cstanleytech

(26,537 posts)
12. Slight modification, change the rules so its stated that failure to appoint members means
Mon Jan 28, 2019, 01:21 AM
Jan 2019

that the committee has approval to proceed by the ones failing to appoint members.
In other words it paints them into the corner of going on the record as approving whatever the committee does if they want to drag their heels.

RockRaven

(15,515 posts)
3. I suspect his delaying is about 95% obstructionist game-playing, but the other 5% is probably
Sun Jan 27, 2019, 09:23 PM
Jan 2019

trying to find non-embarrassing, non-assclowns who actually want to be on this committee with minority status. This is the committee which is going to drag all of Trump & Co.'s traitorous deeds out into the light and the GOP will be powerless to prevent it... no serious GOPer wants any part of that, and the non-serious ones like Nunes make the GOP look like a bunch of traitorous morons (for good reason, but still, their party would be better off with fewer of those on the committee not more).

Demsrule86

(69,364 posts)
18. No that is not it...they can't send the transcripts of those who testified before the committee
Mon Jan 28, 2019, 02:16 PM
Jan 2019

to Mueller until the GOP asshats are appointed..the GOP ran it before and refused to provide transcripts ...protecting those who lied to Congress.

paleotn

(18,412 posts)
5. Like it matters.
Sun Jan 27, 2019, 09:30 PM
Jan 2019

And like Schiff and company are going to forget the disaster that was the last House Intel Committee.

Honeycombe8

(37,648 posts)
8. I wonder if there's a deadline for the minority to name committee members?
Sun Jan 27, 2019, 09:57 PM
Jan 2019

I would think there is. Otherwise, a minority party could keep a committee from functioning during an entire session. I imagine there is some sort of deadline. If there isn't, there should be.

GulfCoast66

(11,949 posts)
10. At first I thought this was obstruction...
Mon Jan 28, 2019, 01:01 AM
Jan 2019

But I’m thinking he can’t find anyone willing to serve on it!!!

denbot

(9,904 posts)
15. Dear Dog, I hope Nunes is named.
Mon Jan 28, 2019, 01:45 AM
Jan 2019

It would be like snipping off the legs of a cockroach the moment before the light switch is flipped on.

DeminPennswoods

(15,498 posts)
16. Nunes has already been appointed as ranking member co-chair
Mon Jan 28, 2019, 07:11 AM
Jan 2019

Maddow exposing that McCarthy was dragging his feet on naming Intel and Oversight committees probably is what spurred him into action. I doubt he'll have trouble finding members who want to serve on Intel. I'd think at the very least Will Hurd would want an assignment on Intel. Looks like there are 22 members and the breakdown is 13D, 9R for the 116th Congress.

House Intel committee does have term limits, though. Good read from Lawfare: https://www.lawfareblog.com/why-are-representatives-clamoring-join-house-intelligence-committee

Latest Discussions»Latest Breaking News»McCarthy: GOP Will Name M...