HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Hundreds protest against ...

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 05:15 PM

Hundreds protest against lockdown at Polish-German border

Source: Reuters

Hundreds of people who live in Poland and work in Germany protested on Friday evening in the southwestern Polish border town of Zgorzelec against a mandatory coronavirus quarantine for those who cross the border.

Poland was one of the first European Union states to close borders due to the outbreak of the new coronavirus. It also imposed a mandatory two-week lockdown for those who enter its territory - a major jolt for those who live their lives in between two EU states.

The protest was staged on a foot bridge connecting Zgorzelec and the German town of Gorlitz, which functioned as one town before the borders were closed.

ďIíve been trapped at home for six weeks, canít cross the border, go to work. I canít go back to my students,Ē said Mirella Binkiewicz, a teacher living in Zgorzelec and working in Gorlitz.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-cross-border-worke/hundreds-protest-against-lockdown-at-polish-german-border-idUSKCN2270BE

The effects of closure of borders within the EU...

2 replies, 951 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hundreds protest against lockdown at Polish-German border (Original post)
Steelrolled Apr 2020 OP
Igel Apr 2020 #1
catbyte Apr 2020 #2

Response to Steelrolled (Original post)

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 05:42 PM

1. Poland currently has a deaths/1 M population

about 1/4 of Germany's.

I can see why they'd close the border, but I suspect that the distribution of deaths in Germany doesn't have a lot up near the eastern border. Gorlitz/Zgorzelec are probably safe.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Steelrolled (Original post)

Sat Apr 25, 2020, 08:45 PM

2. Apparently, Covid-19 isn't the only virus that's contagious. #Covidiots.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread