HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Police officer told homeo...

Sun May 17, 2020, 11:53 AM

Police officer told homeowner he could contact Ahmaud Arbery shooting suspect for help with potentia

Source: CNN

Police officer told homeowner he could contact Ahmaud Arbery shooting suspect for help with potential trespassers, text message shows
-

A text message obtained by CNN shows a Glynn County police officer told the owner of a home under construction near the Georgia coast that he could contact Gregory McMichael for help with potential trespassers seen in surveillance video from his property.

Months later, Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son, Travis McMichael, 34, would be arrested for the February 23 fatal shooting of Ahmaud Arbery, who was jogging through the neighborhood and, according to attorneys for Arbery's family, seen in surveillance footage from the property that day.

Elizabeth Graddy, an attorney for the homeowner, Larry English, said the text exchange occurred on December 20, 2019. In it, English sends a video clip from his surveillance camera to the police officer. The officer responded, telling English that one of English's neighbors is Gregory McMichael, a retired police officer and retired investigator in the local district attorney's office.

McMichael "said please call him day or night when you get action on your camera," the officer wrote in his text message to English.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/16/us/ahmaud-arbery-text-message/index.html

15 replies, 4039 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Police officer told homeowner he could contact Ahmaud Arbery shooting suspect for help with potentia (Original post)
Calista241 May 2020 OP
roamer65 May 2020 #1
cstanleytech May 2020 #4
roamer65 May 2020 #7
3Hotdogs May 2020 #13
stopdiggin May 2020 #9
dalton99a May 2020 #2
LiberalFighter May 2020 #3
cstanleytech May 2020 #6
OldBaldy1701E May 2020 #14
cstanleytech May 2020 #15
tulipsandroses May 2020 #5
CountMyVote4Reality May 2020 #8
RT Atlanta May 2020 #10
yardwork May 2020 #11
SunSeeker May 2020 #12

Response to Calista241 (Original post)

Sun May 17, 2020, 12:00 PM

1. Lawsuit city.

The Arbery family is going to take Glynn County to the cleaners.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to roamer65 (Reply #1)

Sun May 17, 2020, 12:21 PM

4. I doubt any such suit against the police or the officer would result in

a finding against them simply based on that brief portion of a text message and if it did it would probably be thrown out on appeal.
Now if the officer had gone on to say it would be dealt with via violence by them upon someone then yes the officer and the department would be in deep shit but as it stands currently based solely on that tiny bit of text message it simply whiffs of shit rather than reeks.

Reply to this post

Response to cstanleytech (Reply #4)

Sun May 17, 2020, 12:54 PM

7. It depends on how good the lawyer.

Reply to this post

Response to cstanleytech (Reply #4)

Sun May 17, 2020, 02:30 PM

13. So the cop tells the property owner to contact a private citizen?

I'd vote for a couple'a hundred K to the survivors.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #1)

Sun May 17, 2020, 01:24 PM

9. not on the basis of this

I don't live in this jurisdiction .. but I think virtually any court in the country is going to view this text message as entirely innocuous.
(and unfortunately .. it might well serve to bolster the McMichaels defense)

Reply to this post

Sun May 17, 2020, 12:10 PM

2. Gregory McMichael was itching to kill a black man.

He almost got away with it

Reply to this post

Sun May 17, 2020, 12:20 PM

3. So the police didn't want to do their job?

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalFighter (Reply #3)

Sun May 17, 2020, 12:28 PM

6. Actually it's more like the police response time can vary based upon a number of factors.

That's why there are things like neighborhood watches and other things to try and help out as much as possible.

Mind you I'm not saying the assholes who murdered this kid "and yes it was premeditated murder plain and simply in my opinion" were part of such a neighborhood watch program but rather I am simply pointing out the fact that the police cannot respond to every call in a timely manner.

Reply to this post

Response to cstanleytech (Reply #6)

Mon May 18, 2020, 05:32 AM

14. Which is true...

except that the cops want us to call them for every little thing. If their response time is variable, then what are we supposed to do? You mention 'neighborhood watch'... you mean like the one that created Zimmerman? I have been told over and over that I am not supposed to do anything but run and hide while calling the police. Like that is going to stop anyone from hurting or killing anyone. For those out in rural areas, this is even more of a complete fabrication, as the cops cannot help them while whatever danger is going on. I am all for the police, but this idea that the only option is injury or death because I am not supposed to do anything but call them is ludicrous. And, considering how this and many other stories keep popping up tells me that the police may not be the best group to call in certain situations. How we got here is a story for another time, but I will not be blind to the fact that in reality there can be just as much danger from the 'help' as there is from the 'criminal'. (So far, my experience is that the police are overwhelmingly Rethug... so their constant babbling about 'the rule of law' is very funny... and scary as hell...)

Reply to this post

Response to OldBaldy1701E (Reply #14)

Mon May 18, 2020, 11:17 AM

15. To me a neighborhood watch should consist of patrols that make

themselves seen so as to discourage people from trying to commit a crime.
However they should try not to intervene if they see someone breaking into a home nor should they approach someone rather they should call it into the police.

Reply to this post

Sun May 17, 2020, 12:23 PM

5. Its interesting that there were no 911 calls made when white people were on the property

There was a previous 911 call about a black man. I would not doubt that this was pre-meditated murder. As Cuomo said a few nights ago, it sounds like there were other people in the neighborhood talking about this black guy in their neighborhood. Telling stories about a rash of burglaries which is a complete lie. They were going to fix this black guy. The attorney for one of the McMichaels said there was more than one video of the shooting? Why? Why were people out there recording? Then you have this text message about calling McMichaels. There is a lot more that needs to be told here. A lot more.

Reply to this post

Response to tulipsandroses (Reply #5)

Sun May 17, 2020, 01:23 PM

8. +! n/t

Reply to this post

Sun May 17, 2020, 01:25 PM

10. it's a shit show down there...

and it will only get worse (understanding level of corruption/racism and on down the line) as more intrepid reporters research what's going on over there.

Sunshine will be a good disinfectant!

Reply to this post

Sun May 17, 2020, 01:43 PM

11. This gets worse and worse. The voters in this county need to clean house.

Reply to this post

Sun May 17, 2020, 01:50 PM

12. Wow. This is looking more and more like how Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin.

Disgusting.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread