HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » China's Xi urges prepared...

Tue May 26, 2020, 06:54 AM

China's Xi urges preparedness for military combat amid coronavirus epidemic: state TV

Source: Reuters

MAY 26, 2020 / 9:01 AM

BEIJING (Reuters) - President Xi Jinping said on Tuesday China would step up its preparedness for armed combat and improve its ability to carry out military tasks as the coronavirus pandemic is having a profound impact on national security, state television reported.

China’s performance in fighting the new coronavirus has shown the success of military reform, Xi was quoted as saying, adding that the armed forces should explore new ways of training amid the pandemic.

Xi, who chairs China’s Central Military Commission, made the comments when attending a plenary meeting of the delegation of the People’s Liberation Army and People’s Armed Police Force on the sidelines of the annual session of parliament.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-parliament-xi/chinas-xi-urges-preparedness-for-military-combat-amid-coronavirus-epidemic-state-tv-idUSKBN2321IL?il=0

Not sure what this means, but if I were in Taiwan or Hong Kong, I'd be doing some serious thinking right about now.

Corona as Cover for Conquest?

9 replies, 1354 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply China's Xi urges preparedness for military combat amid coronavirus epidemic: state TV (Original post)
Jeorge IX May 2020 OP
Mike 03 May 2020 #1
Warpy May 2020 #2
Lonestarblue May 2020 #3
onetexan May 2020 #6
Dan May 2020 #9
roamer65 May 2020 #4
Javaman May 2020 #5
Bayard May 2020 #7
soryang May 2020 #8

Response to Jeorge IX (Original post)

Tue May 26, 2020, 07:31 AM

1. Yes, China could definitely be sending a message to Hong Kong and Taiwan

It might also be sending a larger message to its adversaries (US and Japan), fearing a more assertive challenge in the East China Sea. As China grows more defiant, issues that other countries "let slide" might come back into play. China is even in (diplomatic) conflict with Australia.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue May 26, 2020, 07:33 AM

2. I do know someone there

and she continues to write about what is happening. She was born there, she doesn't want to leave, it's her home and we are terrified for her.

Xi is making all the classic wannabe strongman blunders. Trying to absorb a resistant population overnight using the military to crush them is one of those.

Reply to this post

Tue May 26, 2020, 08:36 AM

3. Xi has taken Trump's measure and knows he is a weak leader.

He also knows that the US Congress, especially the Senate, is a do-nothing bunch of sycophants who care only about their own cushy jobs and keeping their rich donors happy. Xi is strategic and plans for the long haul. Trump and Republicans are not strategic, and Trump couldn’t plan his way out of an open box.

Reply to this post

Response to Lonestarblue (Reply #3)

Tue May 26, 2020, 09:45 AM

6. agree, the Idiot is no match for China's skillful, cunning and ruthless leader Xi.

I don't doubt Xi is muscleling military might to send a warning signal not only to HK & Taiwan but to the US not to mess w/ him.

Reply to this post

Response to Lonestarblue (Reply #3)

Tue May 26, 2020, 02:50 PM

9. Sad but true....

Plus, we no longer have any soft power/influence via the world stage.

Reply to this post

Tue May 26, 2020, 09:26 AM

4. Hong Kong should be worried.

That twit Carrie Lam fell right into place with Beijing on the national security dictate from the People’s Congress.

Reply to this post

Tue May 26, 2020, 09:41 AM

5. I was kind of expecting this...

to many of the sociopathic leaders out there, (the more intelligent ones anyway), this pandemic is opportunity rather than a liability.

as always, "when two elephants fight, only the grass suffers" Kenyan proverb.

Reply to this post

Tue May 26, 2020, 10:07 AM

7. "when two elephants fight, only the grass suffers"

I like that.

I think this is a message to Hong Kong, and the U.S.

Reply to this post

Tue May 26, 2020, 12:30 PM

8. What could he possibly need to prepare for?

(Source- The Coming War on China, John Pilger, youtube)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread