HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Twitter removes QAnon sup...

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 11:13 PM

Twitter removes QAnon supporter's false claim about coronavirus death statistics that Trump

Source: MSN/CNN

Twitter on Sunday took down a tweet containing a false claim about coronavirus death statistics that was made by a supporter of the baseless QAnon conspiracy theory -- a post that President Donald Trump had retweeted earlier in the day.

The tweet -- which has been replaced with a message saying, "This Tweet is no longer available because it violated the Twitter Rules -- from "Mel Q," copied from someone else's Facebook post, claimed that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had "quietly" updated its numbers "to admit that only 6%" of people listed as coronavirus deaths "actually died from Covid," since "the other 94% had 2-3 other serious illnesses." That's not what the CDC said.

As of Sunday at 4 p.m. ET, Twitter had not removed a second tweet, also retweeted by the President on Sunday, that spread the same false claim. The second tweet, by Trump campaign adviser Jenna Ellis, linked to an article on the right-wing website Gateway Pundit that was based on the QAnon supporter's tweet.

* * *
The CDC's latest regular update to a public statistics page on the pandemic -- there was nothing especially "quiet" about it -- said that for 6% of the deaths included in its statistics, "Covid-19 was the only cause mentioned" on the deceased person's death certificate. That is not at all the same thing as saying only 6% of reported Covid-19 deaths "actually died" from Covid-19. It simply means that the other 94% were listed as having at least one additional factor contributing to their death.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/twitter-removes-qanon-supporter-s-false-claim-about-coronavirus-death-statistics-that-trump-had-retweeted/ar-BB18wCf9?li=BBnba9O



In 2018, former FBI official warned about the threat of foreign actors amplifying conspiracies to create unrest. Instead of taking action, Trump is jumping on the bandwagon of misinformation.

16 replies, 2386 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Sun Aug 30, 2020, 11:24 PM

1. Yep. Saw it earlier but not a QAnon tweet

Dinesh DíSouza posted it.
Hereís a great explanation

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213999950

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to underpants (Reply #1)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 05:05 AM

7. Always include his full title with his name

Convicted felon Dinesh DíSouza

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to HuskyOffset (Reply #7)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 08:46 AM

11. You forgot douchebag

Convicted felon douchebag Dinesh DíSouza.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to lonely bird (Reply #11)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 03:08 PM

15. with an asterisk *

* pardoned by trump....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 12:49 AM

2. Good!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 12:58 AM

3. Not Enough

Taking down an occasional Tweet when there are untold thousands posted on a daily basis.

Just today Trump posted dozens of Tweets and nearly everyone of them was at least partially false. It is a fools errand to spend the time inspecting Tweets for accuracy with repeat violators. Block them and if they persist keep making the block last longer. We can't have the President of the United States encouraging his followers to perform mayhem. Indeed, law enforcement should be going after him, memo or no memo. Twitter and Facebook are contributing to the destruction of America by empowering its destruction by POTUS. Just stop it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 01:27 AM

4. I think the twitter algorithm got my account mixed up on that and disabled it

I was actually arguing against some QANON idiocy, but I don't think it was able to detect the difference. Oh well.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Sapient Donkey (Reply #4)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 01:39 PM

13. Yeah, I'm sure Twit made a "mistake." Putin's Platform is very careful to allow truth.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 01:48 AM

5. Deaths from all causes is up 19% this year

Compared to the average for the past 5 years deaths are up 19% in the US.

Those other 94% factors were here in every one of the other five years.

So what else might be causing the 19% increase in total deaths? It isnít the 94% factors, they have always been here.

And it isnít us cicadas Popping up after hiding underground during the last five years.

Hey, could it be covid19?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Cicada (Reply #5)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 07:57 AM

8. Yes, and with lower deaths from traffic & flu (less exposure) & school shootings & .... . . . nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 02:41 AM

6. The shamelessness of this so-called President is astounding.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 08:09 AM

9. Why not ban the account ?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to JI7 (Reply #9)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 08:40 AM

10. THANK YOU!! I've been wondering the same. And Facebook too.

FB will pop u quick for posting things deemed "inappropriate" so why not just block these idiots & KEEP blocking them?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to TomCADem (Original post)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 08:55 AM

12. How much would Facebook and twiter loose if they shut down for the week before the election? nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to mitch96 (Reply #12)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 01:40 PM

14. Putin would cut off their allowances. They would lose everything.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to lagomorph777 (Reply #14)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 04:37 PM

16. MOMMY, DADDY CUT OFF MY ALLOWANCE!!!!!!!!!! nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread