HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » An Experimental Drug Prot...

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 11:39 AM

An Experimental Drug Protects Covid-19 Patients, Eli Lilly Claims

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: New York Times

A single infusion of an experimental drug has markedly reduced blood levels of the coronavirus in newly infected patients and lowered the chances that they would need hospitalization, the drug’s maker announced on Wednesday.

The drug is a monoclonal antibody, a manufactured copy of an antibody produced by a patient who recovered from Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus. Many scientists hope that monoclonal antibodies will prove to be powerful treatments for Covid-19, but they are difficult and expensive to manufacture, and progress has been slow.

The announcement, by Eli Lilly, was not accompanied by detailed data; independent scientists have not yet reviewed the results, nor have they been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

The findings are the interim results of a trial sponsored by Eli Lilly and the National Institutes of Health. Officials at the N.I.H. could not be reached for comment.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/an-experimental-drug-protects-covid-19-patients-eli-lilly-claims/ar-BB196i9q?li=BBnb7Kz

11 replies, 1273 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply An Experimental Drug Protects Covid-19 Patients, Eli Lilly Claims (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Sep 16 OP
KWR65 Sep 16 #1
Squinch Sep 16 #2
yaesu Sep 16 #3
C Moon Sep 16 #4
Politicub Sep 16 #8
DENVERPOPS Sep 16 #9
maxsolomon Sep 16 #5
GeorgeGist Sep 16 #6
Liberty Belle Sep 16 #7
DENVERPOPS Sep 16 #10
Omaha Steve Sep 16 #11

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 11:43 AM

1. This will help when it comes to the market in ten years.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 11:44 AM

2. Seems like they all want to get in on this stock pump and dump thing.

Their stock will go up, their executives will sell it high, then they will announce that there "are problems."

They're like the 5th drug company to do this.

The announcement, by Eli Lilly, was not accompanied by detailed data; independent scientists have not yet reviewed the results, nor have they been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

Response to Squinch (Reply #2)

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 11:53 AM

3. yep, pretty much, wonder how many tRump humpers got the word yesterday so they could fatten their

trading accounts.

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 11:56 AM

4. Wow. That's effed up.

But it sounds about right. They have nothing to show.

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 12:40 PM

8. Yep - all about the stock.

We won’t hear about this miracle cure for a few years, if ever.

There were so many pump and dump pharma stock schemes for HIV miracle cures in the 80s and 90s. It is obscene to get people’s hopes up by peddling snake oil.

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 01:03 PM

9. Right on Squinch

I would trust drug companies claims about as much as I would trust anything coming from Trump, or the RepubliCONs
CORPORATE FASCIST TYRANNY............

The most sought after money pool in the Universe right now is a vaccine for Covid, therefore I trust nothing any pharmaceutical company claims about their company's Covid product...........And of course ANYTHING the RepubliCONS or Trump says......

The new "greatest lies"......the first one, I won't say, the Second is the "check is in the mail", the third is "we have the cure for covid".....

Scientists are saying that the soonest a vaccine was developed for ANY disease was four years for the measles vaccine.
And they all say, the availability to the public of any vaccine, when it comes available, could be YEARS away..........

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 12:23 PM

5. This is good news - there's a promising approach to treatment.

What's killing people is an out-of-control immune response, and if drugs like this can slow that down, well, fucking yay.

Scaling this up will be tough, but it's better than guzzling bleach and hydrochloroquine.

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 12:26 PM

6. Azar's fingerprints?

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 12:32 PM

7. I'll never trust Eli Lily, maker of DES, which ruined lives of millions of women.

It was prescribed for pregnant women to prevent miscarriages but didn't work. Worse, it caused stillbirths, fertility problems, and a rare form of vaginal cancer among other things. Eli Lily was sued for negligence over this and paid out a big settlement, its actions impacted generations of women; the media called it the "silent thalidomide."

http://www.hormonesmatter.com/des-drug-to-prevent-miscarriage-ruins-lives-of-millions/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethylstilbestrol

I don't think I would ever take any drug made by Eli Lily.

My mother took DES. I worried growing up that I would not be able to have children, but thankfully escaped the worst of the problems caused by this drug, but millions of women were not so fortunate.

Response to Liberty Belle (Reply #7)

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 01:06 PM

10. Add the FDA

to the RepubliCON wholly owned subsidiaries, along with all the other initialed government agencies they "OWN".

Wed Sep 16, 2020, 02:39 PM

11. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

An announcement not backed up peer reviewed evidence should be in GD, not LBN.