HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Jaime Harrison is Biden's...

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 12:32 PM

Jaime Harrison is Biden's pick for Democratic National Committee chair

Source: NBC News

By Alex Seitz-Wald

WASHINGTON — President-Elect Joe Biden has tapped Jaime Harrison to lead the Democratic National Committee, which will meet next week to elect a new chairman, a senior Democrat close to the DNC confirmed to NBC News.

Harrison, 44, the former South Carolina Democratic Party chairman, ran for the top national job in 2017 and lost to Tom Perez, who is now leaving the chairman job. Perez gave Harrison a senior role in the party.

Harrison then became a national Democratic figure and broke fundraising records in a failed bid last year to unseat Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.

Presidents typically select the person they want to want lead their party apparatus and the committee’s roughly 500 members are expected to ratify whomever Biden chooses for the role when they meet virtually next Thursday, a day after Biden’s Inauguration.

Read more: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/jamie-harrison-picked-new-democratic-national-committee-chair-n1254292

7 replies, 906 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to George II (Original post)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 12:49 PM

1. I wonder if Stacy Abrahams will have a national role.

If nothing else the DNC needs to take a good hard look at the work she's done and put it into practice in states like Florida where we've underperformed recently.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to groundloop (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 01:03 PM

3. She seems like, far and away, the BEST choice

But she might not have wanted it since she wants to run for Governor.

But I really like this choice very much!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 01:09 PM

4. I hope she shares all the things they're done in Georgia in the last years.

I was recently reading about some of the tricks (I can’t find the article now) Republicans used to stop minority voters. One example given was country clerks simply sitting on new registrations and not processing them. So Democratic volunteers started following up with voters to see if they had received confirmations. When they had not, the volunteers instigated calls to the registrars, often with the voter online also, to ask what had happened to the registration and why it had not been processed. Most of them had no excuse and were forced to acknowledge that the applications existed, which they then processed to avoid greater attention.

They also followed up with voters whose ballots were voted as provisional ballots to make sure that any issues were correctly addressed. They helped train people on how to complete mail ballots. In other words, there was a lot of hands-on effort involved in winning Georgia—the kind of effort we need in other states trending blue.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 04:14 PM

7. She had to have turned the job down.

There's no way she wasn't asked.

Reply to this post

Response to George II (Original post)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 12:54 PM

2. Great pick! But is that usually picked by the party's president?

Reply to this post

Response to onetexan (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 01:12 PM

5. The tradition is that the president hand-picks the chair, and the DNC members back his choice.

If we lose a presidential election, things get more complicated.

Reply to this post

Response to MrsCoffee (Reply #5)

Thu Jan 14, 2021, 02:02 PM

6. Thank you! Yes i recall the jockeying between Tom Perez & Keith Ellison in 2017

I like both but prefer Perez' levelheadedness.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread