HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » SpaceX successfully lande...

Wed May 5, 2021, 07:46 PM

SpaceX successfully landed a Starship prototype for the first time

Source: The Verge

SpaceX launched a high-altitude Starship prototype rocket and successfully landed it for the first time on Wednesday, overcoming a key technical challenge in Elon Musk’s whirlwind test campaign to build a fully reusable Mars rocket. Musk has said the SN15 rocket contained “hundreds of design improvements” over past high-altitude prototypes, which were all destroyed during explosive landing attempts.

Starship SN15 lifted off at 6:24PM ET from SpaceX’s remote Boca Chica, Texas facilities, soaring over 6 miles in the sky to test a number of in-flight maneuvers. As it neared peak altitude, SN15’s three Raptor engines gradually shut down to begin a horizontal free-fall back toward the ground before reigniting two of its engines to execute a complex “landing flip maneuver,” where it shifts itself vertical for a slow touchdown.

The rocket deployed a set of tiny legs and landed firmly on a concrete pad not far from its launchpad, becoming the first Starship prototype to survive its high-altitude flight. A small fire appeared near the base of the rocket after landing — “not unusual with the methane fuel that we’re carrying,” SpaceX engineer and livestream announcer John Insprucker said — but was extinguished a few minutes later.

Read more: https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/5/22421845/spacex-starship-sn15-successful-landing

4 replies, 1102 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply SpaceX successfully landed a Starship prototype for the first time (Original post)
OnlinePoker May 5 OP
Warpy May 5 #1
Layzeebeaver May 6 #2
djacq May 6 #3
BlueWavePsych May 6 #4

Response to OnlinePoker (Original post)

Wed May 5, 2021, 08:15 PM

1. Calling it a starship is a little too much hubris for me

but I'm delighted they finally got a large rocket to stick the landing without exploding.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Warpy (Reply #1)

Thu May 6, 2021, 06:22 AM

2. I agree.

It's more like a "PlanetShip", once it finally works and goes into service.

Reply to this post

Thu May 6, 2021, 08:24 AM

3. Not a Starship but you have to be in awe of the Mathematical Precision.

Reply to this post

Thu May 6, 2021, 03:47 PM

4. Ther's hope for the human race to explore the galaxy.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread