HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Israel air attacking in G...

Thu May 13, 2021, 07:51 PM

Israel air attacking in Gaza Strip, ground troops have begun fighting with Palestinian militants

Last edited Thu May 13, 2021, 09:04 PM - Edit history (1)

Source: Denver7

JERUSALEM Israel Defense Forces says its troops on the ground and in the air are currently attacking in the Gaza Strip, according to a tweet sent by their official account Thursday afternoon. The assault happened around midnight local time.

During the day, Israel had said it was massing troops along the Gaza frontier and called up 9,000 reservists ahead of a possible ground invasion of the Hamas-ruled territory. There have been rocket fire and airstrikes on both sides for most of the day.

Egyptian mediators and representatives from other countries had rushed to Israel to effort a cease-fire, but there does not appear to be any progress.

Thursday's attacks came after violence between the two sides erupted for a fourth night. Jewish and Arab mobs violently clashed in the town of Lod. Fighting continued despite increased police presence and curfews.

Update: Israel's military clarified that its ground forces have begun fighting with Palestinian militants but have yet to enter Gaza

Read more: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national/israel-air-and-ground-troops-attacking-in-gaza-strip-reports-say

Escalating with ground forces

11 replies, 1563 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Israel air attacking in Gaza Strip, ground troops have begun fighting with Palestinian militants (Original post)
yaesu May 13 OP
Chainfire May 13 #1
karynnj May 13 #2
El Supremo May 13 #3
maxsolomon May 14 #11
WHITT May 13 #4
EX500rider May 13 #5
WHITT May 14 #6
EX500rider May 14 #9
WHITT May 14 #10
dalton99a May 14 #7
WHITT May 14 #8

Response to yaesu (Original post)

Thu May 13, 2021, 07:55 PM

1. Until both side want peace there will be a constant state of war.

I just wonder, when the Israelis attack, who is it that receives the bulk of the bombs and bullets.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu May 13, 2021, 08:06 PM

2. To me, this is scarier than any prior violence

It seems strange that Netanyahu feels it is too soon to have a ceasefire and this is accelerating with ground troops against Gaza. However, it seems that the violence is not limited to Gaza or even Gaza and the West Bank. It seems that there are clashes within the Green line. I hope this is not the beginning of a civil war between the ever more right wing settlers, the ultra Orthodox and the Palestinians.

It is sad, but it seems so predictable given the fact that life for Palestinians was made increasingly difficult. As a Jew, I am shocked that police in Jerusalem used "skunk water" and some weapons in the Al Aqsa mosque. There had to be a better solution.

Reply to this post

Thu May 13, 2021, 08:13 PM

3. Happy Eid al-Fitr

Palestinians are in big trouble. It will never end until the are really two independent states.

Reply to this post

Response to El Supremo (Reply #3)

Fri May 14, 2021, 02:06 PM

11. Then it will never end.

Gaza is not a viable nation-state - it's an enclave, a city of 2 million that is cut off from Egypt and barely permitted access to the sea for fishing.

The West Bank, meantime, is being carved into ever-finer sections by Israeli Settlements, exclusive roads, and protective walls, and that is Israeli government policy. It is being slowly strangled as a viable nation-state and absorbed into a defacto Israel.

Reply to this post

Thu May 13, 2021, 08:36 PM

4. This May Be Different Than 2014

IF NuttyYahoo orders tanks into Gaza, it may be different this time, as Hamas is reported to have anti-tank weapons. Don't know which, so don't know how powerful they would be, and don't know which tanks the IDF would take into an urban battlefield like Gaza.

Reply to this post

Response to WHITT (Reply #4)

Thu May 13, 2021, 09:04 PM

5. The Israelis have outfitted most of urban warfare tanks with

Active anti-tank defenses...
The trophy system I believe

Reply to this post

Response to EX500rider (Reply #5)

Fri May 14, 2021, 02:04 AM

6. As I Posted We Don't Know

Trophy can't stop Javelins, and it can only stop two lesser projectiles, then the vehicle is a sitting duck.

Reply to this post

Response to WHITT (Reply #6)

Fri May 14, 2021, 11:55 AM

9. I'd be surprised if Hamas had many American weapons

Mostly going to be RPGs and maybe a few Koronets

Reply to this post

Response to EX500rider (Reply #9)

Fri May 14, 2021, 12:55 PM

10. I'm Sure They Don't Have Any

I was using shorthand. Should have posted as Javelin-type. We don't know if they have upgraded anti-tank weapons. They sure have surprised the Likud with their upgraded rockets.

BTW, since the Trophy system can only be utilized on two projectiles, you could simply fire a couple small RPGs, then follow with a basic anti-tank weapon.

Reply to this post

Response to WHITT (Reply #4)

Fri May 14, 2021, 02:29 AM

7. Hamas has used Kornet missiles.

Reply to this post

Response to dalton99a (Reply #7)

Fri May 14, 2021, 02:41 AM

8. Those Are From 1998

If there's talk of things potentially being different than 2014, you have to assume they're referencing upgraded weaponry.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread