HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » How long will power be ou...

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 09:00 AM

How long will power be out in metro New Orleans? Entergy says it will assess damage Monday

Source: Times-Picayune

It will likely take days to determine the extent of damage to Entergy's power grid in metro New Orleans and far longer to restore electrical transmission to the region, company executives said early Monday morning.

Four parishes in southeast Louisiana - and parts of two more - had their main source of power cut when eight Entergy transmission lines failed in Hurricane Ida's intense winds, including a tower that fell into the Mississippi River.

New Orleans is in the dark, along with Jefferson, St. Bernard and Plaquemines parishes as well as parts of St. Charles and Terrebonne parishes.

But so far exactly what caused the transmission lines to shut down after Ida came ashore at Port Fourchon as a devastating Category 4 hurricane is unclear, as the storm's devastating winds have prevented crews from conducting a damage assessment.

Read more: https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/article_dd8af4fe-095c-11ec-95eb-c70a067c2932.html

7 replies, 1155 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply How long will power be out in metro New Orleans? Entergy says it will assess damage Monday (Original post)
brooklynite Aug 2021 OP
Ray Bruns Aug 2021 #1
brooklynite Aug 2021 #4
mahatmakanejeeves Aug 2021 #5
bucolic_frolic Aug 2021 #2
mahatmakanejeeves Aug 2021 #3
bahboo Aug 2021 #6
Cattledog Aug 2021 #7

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 09:16 AM

1. But so far exactly what caused the transmission lines to shut down after Ida came ashore

I know I only have a B.S. in electrical engineering, but I am guessing it had something to do with the Category 4 hurricane that just slammed New Orleans.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ray Bruns (Reply #1)

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 09:19 AM

4. So you know how to fix it?

Nobody’s disputing that the hurricane was the cause. That doesn’t tell you what you have to fix and where it is.

Reply to this post

Response to Ray Bruns (Reply #1)

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 09:20 AM

5. It's more than "shutting down." A transmission tower or more than one transmission tower

fell over into the Mississippi River.

So I've heard. I don't have any video.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 09:18 AM

2. Gasoline flows are often disrupted with a Gulf Coast hurricane

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 09:18 AM

3. Terrebonne and Lafourche residents should expect power outages to last for weeks after Hurricane Ida

News

Terrebonne and Lafourche residents should expect power outages to last for weeks after Hurricane Ida

Kezia Setyawan The Courier
Published: 12:49 p.m. CT Aug. 29, 2021 | Updated: 12:17 a.m. CT Aug. 30, 2021

It will take weeks to restore power to many Houma-Thibodaux area residents after Hurricane Ida passes, officials said Sunday.

By late Sunday night, more than 96% of homes and businesses in Terrebonne and all in Lafourche lacked power.

"Based on historical restoration times, customers in the direct path of a Category 4 hurricane can experience outages up to three weeks and beyond three weeks for a Category 5 hurricane," Entergy said in a news release. "While 90% of customers will be restored sooner, customers in the hardest-hit area should plan for the possibility of experiencing extended power outages."

{snip}

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 11:23 AM

6. when possible, I wonder if it makes sense...

to go underground with the transmission wires...

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 30, 2021, 02:31 PM

7. 6 weeks is the current estimate for all to be back on power.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread