HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Unvaccinated couple who b...

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:17 PM

Unvaccinated couple who both got COVID-19 die within hours of each other, leaving 7 children

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by JudyM (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Orlando Sentinel

An unvaccinated couple who both became infected with COVID-19 died within hours of each other this week, leaving seven children behind, according to a news report.

Troy and Charletta Green of Detroit, both 44, were planning another family trip to Florida after bringing the kids in April.

But this time, Troy stayed behind because he was too sick to travel, Fox 2 Detroit reported.

After Charletta left for a Sunshine State vacation, the couple, who’d met at age 14, never saw each other again.

Read more: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-unvaccinated-couple-covid-19-die-leave-seven-children-20210910-wk3spo4xb5ay5nk5sg6ylfjtcy-story.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

55 replies, 5479 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 55 replies Author Time Post
Reply Unvaccinated couple who both got COVID-19 die within hours of each other, leaving 7 children (Original post)
Jose Garcia Sep 10 OP
Ray Bruns Sep 10 #1
Bernardo de La Paz Sep 10 #5
Otto_Harper Sep 10 #2
jimfields33 Sep 10 #7
llashram Sep 10 #33
aggiesal Sep 10 #38
brush Sep 10 #43
Skittles Sep 10 #47
PatSeg Sep 10 #34
mjvpi Sep 10 #3
WilmywoodNCparalegal Sep 10 #4
Auggie Sep 10 #8
Bernardo de La Paz Sep 10 #10
Skittles Sep 10 #46
NJCher Sep 10 #51
PortTack Sep 10 #6
Jon King Sep 10 #9
UpInArms Sep 10 #15
Happy Hoosier Sep 10 #17
NH Ethylene Sep 10 #28
NickB79 Sep 10 #36
Happy Hoosier Sep 10 #50
NJCher Sep 10 #52
llmart Sep 10 #22
IronLionZion Sep 10 #25
LisaL Sep 10 #32
Bluepinky Sep 10 #54
nycbos Sep 10 #11
halfulglas Sep 10 #12
llashram Sep 10 #35
MyMission Sep 10 #13
UpInArms Sep 10 #14
bedazzled Sep 10 #18
AkFemDem Sep 10 #16
sdfernando Sep 10 #19
Dukkha Sep 10 #20
Rebl2 Sep 10 #21
Sugarcoated Sep 10 #26
NH Ethylene Sep 10 #31
mgardener Sep 10 #23
ramapo Sep 10 #24
packman Sep 10 #27
LisaL Sep 10 #30
LisaL Sep 10 #29
aggiesal Sep 10 #37
Aussie105 Sep 10 #39
Buckeye_Democrat Sep 10 #40
SharonClark Sep 10 #41
LisaL Sep 10 #42
BumRushDaShow Sep 10 #44
ExTex Sep 10 #48
ExTex Sep 10 #49
NH Ethylene Sep 10 #53
BlueIdaho Sep 10 #45
JudyM Sep 10 #55

Response to Jose Garcia (Original post)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:20 PM

1. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ray Bruns (Reply #1)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:24 PM

5. Play stupid games, children suffer. Thus Darwin award once removed: Reducing grandchildren's chances

By abandoning 7 (seven) children to the fate of orphans, they have reduced the chances of their genes being passed on to grandchildren.

They have reduced the chances their children will be able to attract intelligent healthy beautiful mates and make intelligent healthy grandchildren.

However, post #4 below makes a great point that in being terrible parents, maybe their deaths have actually improved their children's chances in life and their grandchildren's too.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:21 PM

2. I really regret that the MAGATs have made it such that my reaction to this story

is something other than sympathy and sadness.

Response to Otto_Harper (Reply #2)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:31 PM

7. I'm not so sure they are MAGA supporters

A nice African American couple from Detroit? Trump did not have that much support from the African American community. Hardly any really.

Response to jimfields33 (Reply #7)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 05:36 PM

33. they might not be maggats

yet just like Herman Cain they bought into the lies and distortions of the prior potus. I do feel sad for their children, yet feel nothing concerning their deaths. I just can't feel sorry for misled, willfully ignorant adults. They paid for their ignorance and trust in the devil and his 4 years of lies...

Response to llashram (Reply #33)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 06:12 PM

38. I don't believe that's the case ...

A lot of African American have a deep seated distrust of government with it comes to testing new drugs or vaccines, because they were used as guinea pigs in the past. And that distrust has been past down over generations.

I have a friend that is as liberal as they get, but being African American, he does not trust the vaccine because of past history.

Response to aggiesal (Reply #38)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 08:09 PM

43. A recent poll found that Black people are vaccinated at a higher rate...

than whites. There is some African American vaccine hesitancy, but they are minority among African Americans, Latino Americans too.

NBC News poll contradicts CDC data on black and Hispanic vaccine hesitancy

Everything you have heard about vaccine hesitancy among blacks and Hispanics is wrong, according to a poll released this week by NBC News . Neither group actually distrusts the coronavirus vaccines . On the contrary, an overwhelming number of blacks and Hispanics say they’re already vaccinated, according to the NBC survey.

This is great news, but it’s also at odds with federal data showing blacks and Hispanics are among the most hesitant to get the shot. NBC staffers have been eager this week to share the poll’s unexpected findings. “Based on NBC poll, black voters were MOST likely to be vaccinated,” NBC White House correspondent Mike Memoli said this week, adding further, “And then this breakdown: 91% of Biden voters are already vaccinated vs. 50% of Trump voters. 27% of Trump voters say they won't get vaccinated, vs 2% of Biden voters.”

The survey, which was conducted by Hart Research between Aug. 14-17, sampled 1,000 adults 18 and older. Of the 1,000 respondents polled for NBC’s survey, 790 of them are registered voters.

Response to aggiesal (Reply #38)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 09:06 PM

47. so, they don't get ANY shots?

doesn't make sense - it would only make sense if they initially targeted it only for AA folk

Response to jimfields33 (Reply #7)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 05:37 PM

34. Yes, there is not enough information

to put the couple in such a category. Whatever the reason that they did not get vaccinated, it is still a great tragedy, as it leaves behind seven children.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:21 PM

3. Despite my cynicism, this is tragic.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:22 PM

4. I'm sorry but these stories

don't pull at my heartstrings anymore.

These people were crappy parents to their 7 kids. They chose to disregard science. They chose to travel to the DeSantis Cesspool of Florida.

All my sympathy is gone.

Response to WilmywoodNCparalegal (Reply #4)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:31 PM

8. I feel the same way, though I do feel for the children

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:34 PM

10. Yes, counter to my post #5, maybe they actually *improved* their children's & gchildren's chances.nt

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 09:05 PM

46. and they went on a trip without being vaccinated

stupid, selfish assholes

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 10:33 PM

51. I was wondering about

a parent that would take off on the other parent when that person was ill.

And for a place like Disneyworld, too.

I would never do that to my spouse. I would be so concerned I stayed with him/her.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:29 PM

6. Okay..so ya don't wanna get the vaccine..could you at the very least consider your kids??!!

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:33 PM

9. Obesity and Covid are absolutely deadly.

No sugar coating it, fitness buffs who dodge the vaccine are stupid. Obese people like these who do it are playing Russian roulette with a loaded gun.

Response to Jon King (Reply #9)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:47 PM

15. Pic here

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 03:04 PM

17. Obesity is not the problem...

There is a long tradition of blaming fat for problems when there is no actual causal link. The problem is inflammation. COVID kills by causing a massive inflammatory reaction. Fat does not cause inflammation. It IS, however, caused by other conditions that DO cause inflammation, like insulin resistance, which, btw, also leads to other serious problems like high blood pressure, type II diabetes, and other things. About 80% of obese people are insulin resistant. I was one of those. But about 20% are not, and are referred to as "Metabolically Healthy Obese." About 30% of "normal" weight people are insulin resistant too, and they are just as much at risk for severe COVID as obese people with insulin resistance. And yes, some "fit" people can be insulin resistant.

There is LOTS of research on insulin resistance and inflammation over the last 10 years.... but many "researchers" are still stuck on the "obesity as disease" model which is categorically wrong.

Look of the work of Dr. Robert Lustig.

Sorry for the rant, but we need to be treating the right things.

Response to Happy Hoosier (Reply #17)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 05:21 PM

28. Interesting. n/t

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 06:04 PM

36. "Metabolically healthy obese" is a myth

https://consumer.healthday.com/b-6-11-there-is-no-healthy-obesity-study-confirms-2653277372.html

FRIDAY, June 11, 2021 (HealthDay News) -- There is no such thing as healthy obesity, a Scottish study reports.

A normal metabolic profile doesn't mean an obese person is actually healthy, because he or she still has an increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke and respiratory illness, University of Glasgow researchers explained.

"The term 'metabolically healthy obesity' should be avoided in clinical medicine as it is misleading, and different strategies for defining risk should be explored," wrote researchers led by Frederick Ho, a research associate at the university's Institute of Health and Wellbeing. The study was published June 10 in the journal Diabetologia.

Response to NickB79 (Reply #36)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 10:23 PM

50. I'll look at that, but smells like BS

Most such “studies” are associative only. They do not show biochemical causation, merely association. Metabolically Healthy Obese people are no more likely than other healthy people tu suffer heart attacks, strokes, etc, it’s all about insulin and oxidative stress.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 10:36 PM

52. I didn't take it as a rant

I'm just glad you posted that. I learned a few things, and I read on this topic a good deal of the time.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 04:19 PM

22. +1000

I agree with you.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 04:39 PM

25. That's one factor, but plenty of thin people have died of COVID

Plenty have died in Europe, Brazil, India, etc. where people aren't as obese as Americans.

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #25)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 05:26 PM

32. Obesity is a major risk factor for severe complications.

NT

Response to LisaL (Reply #32)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 11:03 PM

54. I worked with ICU patients up until May of this year (not a nurse).

My hospital ICU has 18 beds, and Covid patients, at the height of the first pandemic surge in 2020, made up at least 50% of those patients on a ventilator. Anecdotally, obese patients were sicker and stayed longer on the vent than those with normal BMI’s. The other group of sicker patients were the elderly, who didn’t recover well from Covid and frequently ended up dying. I haven’t been in the ICU since the Delta variant took over, which may affect patients differently than the original strain.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:36 PM

11. This is tragic.

These children will be emotionally scarred for the rest of their lives due to their parents stupidity.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:39 PM

12. Tragic for those kids left behind but my grief is for the ones who never had an opportunity

To get the vaccine, especially before the vaccine was available - in particular the medical professionals who caught COVID from their patients and didn't have enough protective equipment because of Trump's greed and stupidity. That essential workers of all kinds who had to deal with the little things and the big things despite the fact that people who were told, so knew better, to wear their masks but refused because it didn't feel right, their rights were being taken away. We're all tired of this but we wear our masks because it's the right thing to do.

Response to halfulglas (Reply #12)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 05:38 PM

35. this ++

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:41 PM

13. Let's hope the kids grow up smarter than their parents

I read the article, kids range from 10-23. I hope those eligible will get vaccinated, become advocates, maybe doctors, researchers, politicians, journalists, etc.
May they survive and thrive from this tragedy.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 02:44 PM

14. I wonder how many she infected as she flew to floriduh

Charletta died in a hospital in Florida on Labor Day. She fell ill and was hospitalized two days after arriving to the state.

Response to UpInArms (Reply #14)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 04:02 PM

18. She went on that trip in spite of sickness in her house

Darn that is cold. Didn't care if she made others sick.. Hope she enjoyed her last part vacation.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 03:03 PM

16. I know there is a complicated history for black Americans with new vaccines and treatments

And I’m not going to pretend I understand how that culturally impacts health decisions- but it makes me sad anyway to see this happening. I know I’m supposed to be calloused and “oh well they knew the risks” every time I read one of these stories but they always end up just making me feel frustrated and sad.

Their family members are at least using this to push others to make the choice to vaccinate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox2detroit.com/news/married-couple-leave-behind-7-children-after-dying-from-covid-19-within-hours-of-each-other.amp

“ Green says prior to the Florida trip, Troy and Charletta were considering getting a Covid vaccine, but they contracted the virus before they decided to get the shot.

Something she is now urging others to do.

"I mean, I know it doesn’t prevent you from contracting it in general, but I feel like you’ll have a fighting chance at least," she said. "So I’m like stressing to everybody in my family, (they have to) be vaccinated because I can’t do this again. Covid is taking too many people."”

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 04:03 PM

19. Yeah...well sucks for the kids. Hope they find NORMAL THINKING adults to care for and raise them.

The parents....fuck them! You chose what happened to you. You were extremely selfish and now your children are paying an incredible price for that selfishness. As parents you OWED it to your children to keep them safe and usher them into incredible caring adults....you FAILED MISERABLY!

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 04:06 PM

20. A litter of 7 kids is a pretty good indicator

that they were not good at making rational decisions. Ultimately they died from selfishness.

Response to Dukkha (Reply #20)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 04:16 PM

21. A litter

of seven kids? Really?

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 04:50 PM

26. Ew

That's a shitty thing to say

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 05:24 PM

31. Judge much? n/t

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 04:23 PM

23. He was to sick to travel.

How many people did she infect on her way to Florida?
Why would you go on vacation, leave a "too sick to travel spouse" in the middle of a pandemic?
And not think about getting a COVID test before you went?
Or having your husband tested before you went, because you know, COVID?

Those poor kids. I hope they are not sick.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 04:39 PM

24. These stories don't seem to make an impression

You’d think the lightbulbs would go on for the unvaccinated and anti-mask. It’s just crazy

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 05:18 PM

27. Article says husband died of heart attack - not Covid

Response to packman (Reply #27)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 05:23 PM

30. Covid causes blood clots. Blood clots lead to heart attacks or strokes.

They were both infected and both were put in ICUs on ventilators.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 05:23 PM

29. Like others already pointed out, going on vacation while

spouse is not feeling well, during a pandemic, while both are not vaccinated, doesn't make much sense.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 06:08 PM

37. At what point does this become Child Endangerment? ...

Ages 10-23
The older ones not so much.
But the younger children, definitely would have applied.
Each will now have their future changed.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 06:20 PM

39. Well, that is damn inconvenient!

You plan your life as a family, plan the family trip, decide COVID isn't something that is relevant to you nor factors into your plans, and now this?

Yes, I'm cynical.
My defense mechanism.
Alternatives are less appealing.

Hopefully not too many of the 7 kids die because their parents made bad choices.

Meanwhile, here in Australia . . .
Some state leaders have given up on daily pandemic media briefings because the news is consistently bad, and they can no longer pretend they are in control of the pandemic.
But people are lining up in their thousands to get vaccinated. There is that. No political or media push against vaccinations here.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 06:26 PM

40. I thought both the daughter and son-in-law of...

... my super-religious sister's old church friend (whose family refused to be vaccinated) would both die from Covid, leaving behind three young children and with only the 70+ year-old grandmother (my sister's friend) as their only surviving family member.

Her daughter pulled through it, though, after she was placed on an ECMO machine for several weeks because a ventilator wasn't good enough to keep her blood oxygen high enough to survive.

She was in far worse shape than the husband, initially, but then his health rapidly declined in ICU and he died. But at least their kids have one parent that made it.

My sister's church friend FINALLY got vaccinated after she saw the effects of Covid on her family for herself!

My sister got vaccinated many months ago, so at least she didn't drink the Covid-denier Kool-Aid despite being a religious nut in so many ways.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 07:36 PM

41. According to her sister, they went to Florida to grieve the lose of her mother, who died of COVID.

"Charletta's mother died from COVID-19 in May and the Detroit couple had planned an August vacation with their kids, ages 10 to 23, to spend time together and grieve the loss of their loved one..."
source: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/09/10/detroit-couple-7-children-die-one-day-apart-after-falling-ill-covid-19/8280671002/

I hope the kids are smarter than their parents.

Response to SharonClark (Reply #41)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 07:44 PM

42. Mother died from covid but they still didn't get the vaccine?

I just don't get it.

Response to LisaL (Reply #42)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 08:47 PM

44. I think there is a whole subset of people like these

which I haven't seen described or pointed out the way that I'm about to, but - they are literal "procrastinators".

-They are not MAGATs
-They are not anti-vaxxers
-They are not "hesitant due to past government experimentation on POC"
-They are probably not the "I never had a cold in my life and made it this far so I'm not going to catch it" types

I really think it's pure procrastination. I.e., this whole pandemic and remedies for minimizing its impact, never rises to the level of the - "I better get this or else" stage and some of it may be internalized anxiety about it so it's more of a "I got too many other things going on in my life right now and I'm just not going to deal with it, and hope it goes away" thing.

It's sortof like when it rains and you get a leak in the roof and think -"Ugh, I gotta get that fixed meaning I need to find a roofer and get estimates, take off from work to talk to them and show them what the problem is and I don't have the money right now and... And then it's dry for a few weeks and you're fine... But then it rains again and there's the leak again and the anxiety returns and you stick a bucket under it and hope it stops raining and it eventually does and the ceiling dries, so you move on noting that it's been fine for a few more weeks, even after some light rain or drizzle in between that makes the spot just a little damp but not a major dripping mess... And that type of thing just goes on month after month. The "I'll get around to it".

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #44)

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #44)

Response to SharonClark (Reply #41)

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 10:54 PM

53. That's really sad.

The whole family must be in shambles now.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 08:51 PM

45. Let's hope these kids

Find better role models through the adoption process.

Fri Sep 10, 2021, 11:04 PM

55. Locking

This was alerted on for not being important breaking news, but rather a (tragic) human interest feature story.… LBN rules are more stringent than GD rules, so please post this in that forum instead.
These are the LBN posting rules, found in the “About This Forum” tab:
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.