Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

IbogaProject

(2,576 posts)
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 05:07 PM Dec 6

The New Yorker Drops Andy Borowitz's Satire Column Amid Cutbacks

Source: Variety

Humorist and writer Andy Borowitz has gotten the axe from the New Yorker after 25 years of writing for the magazine, as part of a larger wave of cost-cutting and layoffs at parent Condé Nast.

Borowitz announced that the New Yorker was dropping his long-running Borowitz Report satire features because of “its financial difficulties.”

In a post on Facebook, Borowitz wrote, “IF I MAY BE SERIOUS: Because of its financial difficulties, The New Yorker has been forced to cut costs. As a result, it has decided to stop publishing The Borowitz Report. I want to thank my colleagues at The New Yorker who have made writing for it such an honor for the past 25 years. And I want to thank you, my readers, for your incredible enthusiasm and support. You’re the reason I do what I do, and when I figure out what I want to do next, you’ll be the first to know. Love, Andy.”

The New Yorker confirmed it has ended its deal with Borowitz. In a statement, a spokesperson for the publication said, “Andy Borowitz has been making us laugh for decades with his many and varied contributions to the New Yorker and we are immensely grateful for that. For years, we’ve had the pleasure and privilege of publishing the Borowitz Report, which has helped our readers — and all of us — find levity in particularly dark times. We know that Andy will keep cracking us up in new and surprising ways for a long time to come.”

Read more: https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/new-yorker-drops-andy-borowitz-cutbacks-1235824249/

I knew of him from the excerpts posted here, maybe that is why conde-nasty is struggling? Or is it the bad Hearst family karma?
53 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
The New Yorker Drops Andy Borowitz's Satire Column Amid Cutbacks (Original Post) IbogaProject Dec 6 OP
What a shame Marthe48 Dec 6 #1
What a treasure. I hope some other smart publication picks him up. Vinca Dec 6 #2
Gee whiz, think they're losing all their liberal subscribers? ananda Dec 6 #3
... Faux pas Dec 6 #4
Wow. He is brilliant. What a loss. Hope he finds a new home Raven123 Dec 6 #5
I enjoyed the occasional double take I got from his satire pieces. Tommy Carcetti Dec 6 #6
I wonder... GiqueCee Dec 6 #7
I'm guessing, not a nickel FakeNoose Dec 6 #37
Of course orangecrush Dec 7 #46
I still subscribe to the New Yorker, but I may be reconsidering if they're cutting the people I enjoy reading. Lonestarblue Dec 6 #8
I'm going to have to think BlueSky3 Dec 6 #9
Let's see - Bill Buford, Jill Lepore, Adam Gopnik, Tad Friend, Richard Brody, David Remnick GoneOffShore Dec 7 #42
Yeah, Borowitz was a real money pit. LuckyLib Dec 6 #10
I'm a bit more cynical and suspicious about this SpankMe Dec 6 #11
They dumped Mehdi?when? lostnfound Dec 6 #29
They canceled his show last week. He'll still appear as a guest host and pundit on FSogol Dec 7 #49
Wow, I really hope THAT is wrong....... MyOwnPeace Dec 6 #31
Yup. Vote. Joinfortmill Dec 7 #52
Satire is dead Ponietz Dec 6 #12
Dirty rotten shame Wild blueberry Dec 6 #13
AI is taking over. ZonkerHarris Dec 6 #14
I am sorry the the New Yorker is dropping Andy Borowitz LetMyPeopleVote Dec 6 #15
;-( elleng Dec 6 #16
Of all the things they could have cut, slightlv Dec 6 #17
What a shame... BlueIdaho Dec 6 #18
Boo! GB_RN Dec 6 #19
The New Yorker is the gold standard of writing in a weekly publication. rubbersole Dec 6 #20
Politics had nothing to do with it. twodogsbarking Dec 6 #21
I wish I had enough money to pay him out of my own salary DFW Dec 6 #22
What a loss. I have fond memories of posting the Borwitz Report where right-wingers would find it, and them not realize chia Dec 6 #23
I love him. He and Luckovich are my absolute favorites. MLAA Dec 6 #24
Damn. MLAA Dec 6 #25
Borowitz is all that many people know about The New Yorker BeyondGeography Dec 6 #26
What a stupid decision. greatauntoftriplets Dec 6 #27
Their loss, Andy will land on his feet. OAITW r.2.0 Dec 6 #28
I sure hope the replacement is not AI Nictuku Dec 6 #30
What a joke. Kid Berwyn Dec 6 #32
That is the only thing worth reading in that paper. appleannie1 Dec 6 #33
Time for a mass subscription cancelation. N/t Hope22 Dec 6 #34
Maybe Stephen Colbert will recognize an opportunity here! 70sEraVet Dec 6 #35
What? Lulu KC Dec 6 #36
I loved The Borowitz Report. ificandream Dec 6 #38
Fine, I'll read it somewhere else, anywhere else. CaptainTruth Dec 6 #39
Satire is getting harder to do iemanja Dec 6 #40
With Borowitz' wickedly funny sarcasm reputation i'm sure he can monetize his talent onetexan Dec 7 #41
What a bad decision, he really is the best... Rhiannon12866 Dec 7 #43
Is this a joke? elias7 Dec 7 #44
Borowitz' satire was so good it was hard to distinguish it from reality Novara Dec 7 #45
Welcome orangecrush Dec 7 #47
I enjoyed Andy Borowitz's column for a while and got it in my inbox. After a while though, I got a little tired of the Martin68 Dec 7 #48
He should just syndicate his column & distribute to periodicals ... aggiesal Dec 7 #50
Reducing even more content. What's next? No cover art? Freethinker65 Dec 7 #51
If the New Yorker can't afford to pay for the Borowitz Report.... Random Boomer Dec 7 #53

Marthe48

(16,348 posts)
1. What a shame
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 05:15 PM
Dec 6

We subscribed to The New Yorker for 3 years in the 90s. I have those magazines put away, with promise to myself to read them someday. Maybe people who would subscribe just don't have time to read the engrossing articles.

I won the Cartoon Caption once about 10 or 12 years ago. I treasure the memory.

I hope The New Yorker survives this latest round of cuts. It is a wonderful magazine.

Tommy Carcetti

(42,977 posts)
6. I enjoyed the occasional double take I got from his satire pieces.
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 05:31 PM
Dec 6

Hopefully he'll either be picked up by another distributor or continue on a freelance basis.

GiqueCee

(394 posts)
7. I wonder...
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 05:43 PM
Dec 6

... how much of a haircut the CEO is getting, or if any of the senior editors are taking a pay cut to help the mag through the "hard times". I seriously doubt that Andy's slice of the pie is really all that significant.
It all brings to mind the "Oh, woe is me" protestations when the back-of-house staff at Mickey D's asked for a livable wage. The execs were rending their garments over $15 an hour, saying it would drive up the cost of a Big Mac. Funny how paying the CEO EIGHT THOUSAND+ a fucking hour didn't ruffle their feathers even a little bit.
I've been dealing with the proponents of corporatism for nearly 60 years, and I have a VERY low tolerance for their self-centered bullshit.

FakeNoose

(32,024 posts)
37. I'm guessing, not a nickel
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 09:10 PM
Dec 6

The execs will all get their Christmas bonuses right on time.

I get at least 3 emails per day from the New Yorker BEGGING me to subscribe. I'll never do it now.

Lonestarblue

(9,652 posts)
8. I still subscribe to the New Yorker, but I may be reconsidering if they're cutting the people I enjoy reading.
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 05:44 PM
Dec 6

Borowitz has always been enjoyable, and I hope he finds another publisher.

GoneOffShore

(17,266 posts)
42. Let's see - Bill Buford, Jill Lepore, Adam Gopnik, Tad Friend, Richard Brody, David Remnick
Thu Dec 7, 2023, 04:38 AM
Dec 7

Plus the cartoons aren't enough?

Alrighty then.

SpankMe

(2,907 posts)
11. I'm a bit more cynical and suspicious about this
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 06:00 PM
Dec 6

Sounds more like Trump-critical media dumping their liabilities in preparation for the fascist takeover. Looking at MSNBC dumping Mehdi Hassan and other odd "softening" of Trump criticism, I can't help but think they're getting rid of perspectives that could put them on Trump's radar nest year.

Not good.

MyOwnPeace

(16,852 posts)
31. Wow, I really hope THAT is wrong.......
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 07:52 PM
Dec 6

The New Yorker is one of the 'institutions' that I would count on to never fold - ever..........

slightlv

(2,558 posts)
17. Of all the things they could have cut,
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 06:51 PM
Dec 6

I'll lay odds cutting Borowitz will come back to bite them in the butt. I loved reading his columns. I guess it was just too cerebral for a lot of the people now days... as well as comedy and satire sometimes being hard to separate from the real life of magas. I hate to see this happen, but I'm sure Andy will be back in one form or another. He's too good for us to lose!

BlueIdaho

(13,582 posts)
18. What a shame...
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 06:52 PM
Dec 6

Having said that - all print media is really being crushed these days and most have not figured out an electronic model that works successfully. Fingers crossed Borowitz can find another outlet.

rubbersole

(6,101 posts)
20. The New Yorker is the gold standard of writing in a weekly publication.
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 07:07 PM
Dec 6

Andy Borowitz is the gold standard of satire. This is the canary in the coal mine for the New Yorker. A real shame.

DFW

(53,712 posts)
22. I wish I had enough money to pay him out of my own salary
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 07:24 PM
Dec 6

Cutting him from the New Yorker is like cutting the carbonation from club soda. Without it, it just tastes flat.

chia

(2,235 posts)
23. What a loss. I have fond memories of posting the Borwitz Report where right-wingers would find it, and them not realize
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 07:30 PM
Dec 6

it was satire - watching the ensuing exploded heads was great entertainment.

MLAA

(16,961 posts)
24. I love him. He and Luckovich are my absolute favorites.
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 07:34 PM
Dec 6

Smart and funny, that’s a winning combination.

BeyondGeography

(39,147 posts)
26. Borowitz is all that many people know about The New Yorker
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 07:40 PM
Dec 6

I wonder what kind of “metrics” went into that decision.

Stupid move.

greatauntoftriplets

(175,553 posts)
27. What a stupid decision.
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 07:40 PM
Dec 6

What idiot is making the decisions at the New Yorker? Borowitz is the last person they should fire.

Nictuku

(3,501 posts)
30. I sure hope the replacement is not AI
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 07:52 PM
Dec 6

I hope the replacement is not AI. AI based on Andy Borowitz's writing style.

appleannie1

(4,998 posts)
33. That is the only thing worth reading in that paper.
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 08:09 PM
Dec 6

I sure hope he finds another paper looking for real comedic talent.

ificandream

(8,753 posts)
38. I loved The Borowitz Report.
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 09:19 PM
Dec 6

I re-posted it both on Twitter and here. I've been a fan of other satirists, including Art Hoppe at the San Francisco Chronicle and Art Buchwald at the Washington Post. Andy was as good as both of them. I hope he finds another outlet soon.

CaptainTruth

(6,529 posts)
39. Fine, I'll read it somewhere else, anywhere else.
Wed Dec 6, 2023, 11:10 PM
Dec 6

It was the only reason I clicked on New Yorker link, so they just lost all my clicks.

onetexan

(12,916 posts)
41. With Borowitz' wickedly funny sarcasm reputation i'm sure he can monetize his talent
Thu Dec 7, 2023, 12:06 AM
Dec 7

I hope he w go into business online for himself, stting up his own shop & owning the rights to his writing.
I hope he succeeds big time & the NYer w eat its shorts with regret.

Novara

(5,589 posts)
45. Borowitz' satire was so good it was hard to distinguish it from reality
Thu Dec 7, 2023, 06:52 AM
Dec 7

Or is reality so insane that it's satire?

Martin68

(22,512 posts)
48. I enjoyed Andy Borowitz's column for a while and got it in my inbox. After a while though, I got a little tired of the
Thu Dec 7, 2023, 08:21 AM
Dec 7

sameness of the style and discontinued my subscription.

aggiesal

(8,816 posts)
50. He should just syndicate his column & distribute to periodicals ...
Thu Dec 7, 2023, 09:58 AM
Dec 7

Last edited Thu Dec 7, 2023, 10:29 AM - Edit history (1)

around the country and world.

I'll bet he makes a ton more money from syndication.

Random Boomer

(4,148 posts)
53. If the New Yorker can't afford to pay for the Borowitz Report....
Thu Dec 7, 2023, 11:53 AM
Dec 7

...then they are already a dead man walking.

I can't think of any other New Yorker columnist with the widespread readership and name-recognition of Borowitz. His wit is iconic, on the same level as the famed covers in evoking the magazine brand.

Latest Discussions»Latest Breaking News»The New Yorker Drops Andy...