Washington Post veteran says he left after 18 years over Bezos 'unapologetically patriotic' content mandate
Source: The Independent
Monday 04 August 2025 22:49 BST
A veteran Washington Post columnist who quit the newspaper last month has spoken out against owner Jeff Bezos's Trump-friendly transformation of the opinion pages.
Jonathan Capehart, who joined the Post in 2007 and served on its editorial board until 2023, said on MSNBC on Friday that he had chosen to leave because the new demand for "unapologetically patriotic" articles left "[no] room for a voice like mine". He was among several high-profile journalists and editors who accepted a buyout offered by the Post's new CEO William Lewis to any employees who "do not feel aligned" with Bezos's new order.
The news comes after the Amazon founder and chairman decreed this February that the Post's opinion pages would now pivot to supporting "personal liberties and free markets", while excluding any contrary views.
Asked on air why he had chosen to leave, Capehart said that Bezos who had a prominent seat at Donald Trump's inauguration and is currently the world's fourth richest person, according to Forbes had the "right" to make those changes but that they left no space for his perspective.
Read more: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/washington-post-bezos-jonathan-capehart-b2801843.html
Irish_Dem
(82,369 posts)A free democratic America is where the rich jackasses made all their dirty money.
eringer
(544 posts)Even at 99 cents a month, I could not justify supporting the newspaper that purports that America Dies in Darkness when its owner is the one who flipped the light switch off. And I was a fifty plus year subscriber!
dedl67
(244 posts)The Post was a great newspaper then - anti-McCarthy and anti-Nixon (especially the Herblock cartoons).
The price of the Post went up from $1.75 to $1.95 per month while I was a delivery boy, and then I would occasionally get a 5 cent tip for delivering the Post to the door every morning. (I am not sure how you were paying 99 cents - maybe online?)
It's sad that the Post is no longer what it was.
And I keep seeing Washington Post ads on Facebook with offers for subscribers to come back. The comments are priceless. I take every opportunity to get my two cents in.
Lonestarblue
(13,561 posts)I have cancelled my subscription but still have a few days of access. I looked at the top articles and opinions this morning and almost all are from yesterday. Some have been in the same top spot for days, and the Post now regularly recycles opinions that are weeks old. It saddens me to see a once-great paper turned into a rag.
demmiblue
(39,944 posts)Good for her. Sheâs an outstanding reporter and the Washington Post is no longer worthy of her work.
— Mueller, She Wrote (@muellershewrote.com) 2025-08-05T01:34:52.414Z
BumRushDaShow
(172,299 posts)so that was a natural jump.
A concern is with the ultimate direction of MSNBC though so hopefully she and the others have alternate/backup plans too.
tanyev
(49,688 posts)He can do it by Venmo or PayPal now.
😒
hay rick
(9,724 posts)
Kick in to the DU tip jar?
This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.
As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.