Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

BumRushDaShow

(172,292 posts)
Fri Aug 29, 2025, 06:42 AM Aug 2025

Federal judge allows families of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia

Source: ABC News

August 28, 2025, 7:34 PM


Nearly 24 years after the Sept. 11 terror attacks, a federal judge in New York decided Thursday that Saudi Arabia can face a civil lawsuit alleging the kingdom sponsored, aided and supported the al-Qaeda hijackers.

Families of 9/11 victims called the judge's decision denying Saudi Arabia's bid to dismiss the lawsuit "the most consequential step yet" in two decades of litigation.

Attorneys representing Saudi Arabia had tried to dismiss claims by victims' families and estates, first filed in 2003, arguing that, as a sovereign state, it is immune from civil litigation in American courts. However, U.S. District Judge George Daniels said the families provided "reasonable evidence" that two Saudi citizens -- Omar al-Bayoumi and Fahad al-Thumairy -- were sent by their government to the United States to assist the hijackers.

"KSA [Kingdom of Saudi Arabia] did not proffer sufficient evidence to the contrary," Daniels said. "Although KSA attempts to offer seemingly innocent explanations or context, they are either self-contradictory or not strong enough to overcome the inference that KSA had employed Bayoumi and Thumairy to assist the hijackers."

Read more: https://abcnews.go.com/US/federal-judge-allows-families-911-victims-sue-saudi/story?id=125075883

5 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Federal judge allows families of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia (Original Post) BumRushDaShow Aug 2025 OP
'Bout time. Timeflyer Aug 2025 #1
We already did this, didn't we? travelingthrulife Aug 2025 #2
This seems to have a convoluted history and timeline BumRushDaShow Aug 2025 #4
Since they freely give out 2B, so I have heard, this should be a nuisance fund? Brainfodder Aug 2025 #3
I think 60 Minutes covered this story last week. BigmanPigman Aug 2025 #5

travelingthrulife

(5,580 posts)
2. We already did this, didn't we?
Fri Aug 29, 2025, 09:53 AM
Aug 2025

GW Bush's family fixer/lawyer represented Saudi Arabia AGAINST the 9-11 families...and won.

BigmanPigman

(55,527 posts)
5. I think 60 Minutes covered this story last week.
Fri Aug 29, 2025, 07:30 PM
Aug 2025

It pissed me off just listening to the BS from the Saudis.

I saw this related video last week but it is 5 years old.

?si=E9Ynv9ti3yN9maxi

Kick in to the DU tip jar?

This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.

As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.

Tell me more...

Latest Discussions»Latest Breaking News»Federal judge allows fami...