HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » American Fighting for ISI...

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 07:53 AM

American Fighting for ISIS Is Killed in Syria

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by DonViejo (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: NYT

WASHINGTON Like many teenage boys who grew up in the Midwest in the 1990s, Douglas McAuthur McCain was a fan of Michael Jordans Chicago Bulls and loved to play basketball.

But as he grew older, he lost interest in basketball as he shuttled between two suburban Minneapolis high schools. He never graduated, and in his late teens, he began to have run-ins with the law. In the decade that followed, he was arrested or cited nine times on charges including theft, marijuana possession and driving without a license.

Mr. McCain moved back and forth from Minneapolis to San Diego and then abroad. Officials now know he ended up in Syria, where three days ago, Mr. McCain became the first American to die while fighting for the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. He was 33.

The rebels who killed him were fighting for the Free Syrian Army, a rival group backed by the United States, and they went on to behead six ISIS fighters but not Mr. McCain and then posted the photographs on Facebook.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/27/world/middleeast/american-fighting-for-isis-is-killed-in-syria.html

Could this be right? I thought "our guys" didn't do such grotesque things.

Ironic that this guy's name is McCain.

14 replies, 2419 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply American Fighting for ISIS Is Killed in Syria (Original post)
Depaysement Aug 2014 OP
still_one Aug 2014 #1
Baclava Aug 2014 #2
get the red out Aug 2014 #6
Ex Lurker Aug 2014 #3
rtracey Aug 2014 #4
A Simple Game Aug 2014 #5
JustAnotherGen Aug 2014 #7
A Simple Game Aug 2014 #11
brooklynite Aug 2014 #12
snooper2 Aug 2014 #13
rtracey Aug 2014 #9
JustAnotherGen Aug 2014 #8
EEO Aug 2014 #10
DonViejo Aug 2014 #14

Response to Depaysement (Original post)

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 07:55 AM

1. it is accurate

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 08:08 AM

2. "Converting to Islam was the best thing that ever happened to him"

Would you like that on your tombstone?

Response to Baclava (Reply #2)

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 08:47 AM

6. Excellent!

Best post I've seen in a long time.

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 08:26 AM

3. I understand being dissatisfied with America. I understand converting to another religion

I understand making the decision to emigrate and trying to forge a new life somewhere else. Those aren't decisions I would choose, but I understand the thinking behind them. But for FSM's sake, WHAT makes a seemingly ordinary American kid find ISIS and what it stands for attractive?

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 08:28 AM

4. I am Liberal

I am very liberal, but my feelings on this situation is as follows:

I feel any American who joins an active terrorist fighting regime, group or association should no longer be considered an American, but a terrorist. They have forfeited their right to be an American.

Response to rtracey (Reply #4)

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 08:35 AM

5. So you don't think George Washington had a right to be an American?

What you said is as anti-American as what McCain did. You are no liberal!

Response to A Simple Game (Reply #5)

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 08:59 AM

7. I can't speak for that poster

But I *think* it would mean that George Washington had no right to be British.

He wasn't an American citizen until after the War.

Response to JustAnotherGen (Reply #7)

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:46 AM

11. Do you think the British considered Washington whatever they called a terrorist back then?

The principal is the same. "America" was British at the time Washington decided to fight against the British. What would history consider Washington if the British had won the Revolutionary war? It is always the winner that writes the history.

As far as ISIS is concerned I would consider them more of an army than a terrorist group. Every description of them sounds more like an army than a terrorist group. This is also the group we supported in Syria not so long ago, especially someone also named McCain.

What should we do about the Americans that join the Israeli armed forces? Lately many would argue that they are terrorists, where would you draw the line?

What if McCain were fighting for the other side, should he still be condemned? Were the Americans that fought alongside the British before America joined WWII to be considered terrorists?

Can you tell me how America or Americans other than himself got harmed by his actions? The man obviously had many problems, liberals would try to help him not condemn him, which most likely would include a trip through the justice system.

Response to A Simple Game (Reply #11)

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:50 AM

12. No, because he "played by the rules"

Washington was a commissioned officer in a recognized military organization and fought according to generally accepted principles of military behavior of the time. If captured he MIGHT have been executed for treason, but, he was never seen as the equivalent of a terrorist.

Response to A Simple Game (Reply #11)

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:51 AM

13. ISIS are a bunch of wacked out fucking fundies who want to live in the 7th century

Response to A Simple Game (Reply #5)

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:20 AM

9. if

Whatever...you can say what every you want.. thats whats great about this country. My thoughts were what you read. Personally, I really dont give a flying f*ck what you think about me. I sleep well with my political view and political standings in my community. You can say as others on here have said, that I am not liberal..fine, i know, I am, I have been for 40 years. If you support what this "American" kid did, well great, thats your right. we will be on the opposite side of the fence on this one...

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:02 AM

8. The only think working for Obama on this

Is that this was a black man. . . If not - rest assured the Right Wing in this country would be crying and screaming about government over reach.

Since he looks like my brother, my nephews, etc. etc. It will be a 'blip' and Obama will not be blamed for his death.

I'm just being honest. I don't like it anymore than you do -but it is what it is.

Note - I'm criticizing and dismissing the right in this country - not Democrats, Liberals, Progressives - so hopefully no one is offended by this post.

Response to JustAnotherGen (Reply #8)

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:44 AM

10. Traitor.

Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:54 AM

14. Locked.

Duplicate:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014880497

Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.