HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Oklahoma Governor Signs A...

Sat May 6, 2017, 12:41 PM

Oklahoma Governor Signs Anti-Protest Law Imposing Huge Fines on Conspirator Organizations

A statute aimed at suppressing protests against oil and gas pipelines has been signed into law in Oklahoma, as a related bill advances through the state legislature. The two bills are part of a nationwide trend in anti-protest laws meant to significantly increase legal penalties for civil disobedience. The Oklahoma law signed this week is unique, however, in its broad targeting of groups “conspiring” with protesters accused of trespassing. It takes aim at environmental organizations Republicans have blamed for anti-pipeline protests that have become costly for local governments.

The statute Oklahoma governor Mary Fallin approved Wednesday was rushed into immediate effect under a provision that declared the situation “an emergency.” It will dramatically increase penalties against protesters who trespass on property containing a “critical infrastructure facility.”

Under the newly signed trespassing law individuals will face a felony and a minimum $10,000 fine if a court determines they entered property intending to damage, vandalize, deface, “impede or inhibit operations of the facility.” Should the trespasser actually succeed in “tampering” with the infrastructure, they face a $100,000 fine or ten years of imprisonment.

Significantly, the statute also implicates any organization “found to be a conspirator” with the trespasser, threatening collaborator groups with a fine “ten times” that imposed on the intruder — as much as $1 million in cases involving damage.

https://theintercept.com/2017/05/06/oklahoma-governor-signs-anti-protest-law-imposing-huge-fines-on-conspirator-organizations/

5 replies, 4946 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Oklahoma Governor Signs Anti-Protest Law Imposing Huge Fines on Conspirator Organizations (Original post)
douglas9 May 2017 OP
shraby May 2017 #1
redstatebluegirl May 2017 #2
5X May 2017 #3
Runningdawg May 2017 #4
onecaliberal May 2017 #5

Response to douglas9 (Original post)

Sat May 6, 2017, 12:43 PM

1. That runs smack dab into the right to peaceably assemble.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to shraby (Reply #1)

Sat May 6, 2017, 01:05 PM

2. Mary has no idea what is in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights, she can't read.

Reply to this post

Sat May 6, 2017, 01:15 PM

3. i can't wait to get out of this state. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to 5X (Reply #3)

Sat May 6, 2017, 01:47 PM

4. As much as it sucks - I won't leave my tribe

As I am sure you know, this legislation was aimed directly at the Native people of OK. I'm not going to cut and run just because the shit is getting deeper.

Reply to this post

Sat May 6, 2017, 03:06 PM

5. Unconstitutional

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread