HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Trump order makes some pr...

Sat May 6, 2017, 01:21 PM

Trump order makes some preachers ecstatic; others cringe

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-order-makes-some-preachers-ecstatic-others-cringe/ar-BBAOCA7?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

"It's never good for the church or the state when the two get in bed with each other," said the Rev. Gregory Boyd, senior pastor of Woodland Hills Church, a nondenominational church in suburban St. Paul, Minnesota.

For pastors to use the pulpit "to get others to buy into their particular way of voting is, I think, a real abuse of authority," he added.

The Rev. Charlie Muller, pastor of the nondenominational Victory Christian Church in Albany, New York, is excited. As soon as details of the order are sorted out, his church plans to endorse a candidate for mayor.

"I'm very involved politically, but we've been handcuffed," Muller said. "We want to have a voice, and we haven't had that."

2 replies, 5952 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump order makes some preachers ecstatic; others cringe (Original post)
Alt-Orange May 2017 OP
no_hypocrisy May 2017 #1
marybourg May 2017 #2

Response to Alt-Orange (Original post)

Sat May 6, 2017, 01:24 PM

1. As an individual and independent parisioner, I would not want my church to endorse a

candidate in my name when I plan to vote against him/her.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Alt-Orange (Original post)

Sat May 6, 2017, 02:57 PM

2. Lots of unintended consequences will ensue.

Some will benefit progressives: Polarization of churches? People disengaging from organized religion? Progressive spiritual leaders who would previously never have considered endorsing a candidate now doing so, or doing so openly? Churches becoming a venue for resistance organizing?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread