HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » I promised Brando I would...

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 04:18 PM

I promised Brando I would not touch his Oscar': the secret life of Sacheen Littlefeather, Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/03/i-promised-brando-i-would-not-touch-his-oscar-secret-life-sacheen-littlefeather#Echobo

In 1973, she made history at the Academy Awards, appearing in place of Marlon Brando, declining his statuette and making a speech about Native American rights. She has been speaking out ever since....

Sacheen Littlefeather begins by announcing that this will be one of her last interviews: “I’m very, very ill. I have metastasised breast cancer – terminal – to my right lung. And I’ve been on chemotherapy for quite some time, and daily antibiotics. As a result, my memory is not as good as it used to be … I’m very tired all the time because cancer is a full-time job: the CT scans, MRIs, laboratory blood work, medical visits, chemotherapy, infectious disease control doctors, etc, etc. If you’re lazy, you need not apply for cancer.”

For the next couple of hours, speaking over Zoom from her home in northern California, as she trips down memory lane her solemn demeanour gives way to chattiness and laughter. At 74, she has lived a full, eventful life, though she will be for ever remembered for an event that took up little more than one minute of it, on the night of 27 March 1973. This was when she took the stage at the 45th Academy Awards to speak on behalf of Marlon Brando, who had been awarded best actor for his performance in The Godfather. It is still a striking scene to watch. Amid the gaudy 70s evening wear, 26-year-old Littlefeather’s tasselled buckskin dress, moccasins, long, straight black hair and handsome face set in an expression of almost sorrowful composure, make a jarring contrast.

When the presenter, Roger Moore, attempts to hand Littlefeather Brando’s Oscar she holds out her hand as if to push it away. She explains that Brando cannot accept the award because of “the treatment of American Indians today by the film industry”. The crowd interrupts her, half-applauding, half-booing. “Excuse me,” she says calmly, then continues: “And on television and movie reruns, and also with recent happenings at Wounded Knee.” At the time, Wounded Knee, in South Dakota, was the site of a month-long standoff between Native American activists and US authorities, sparked by the murder of a Lakota man. Littlefeather ends her speech begging that “in the future, our hearts and our understandings will meet with love and generosity”.

8 replies, 1797 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply I promised Brando I would not touch his Oscar': the secret life of Sacheen Littlefeather, Guardian: (Original post)
Stuart G Wednesday OP
Goonch Wednesday #1
hlthe2b Wednesday #2
sdfernando Wednesday #4
hlthe2b Wednesday #5
sdfernando Wednesday #6
Bayard Wednesday #3
Kablooie Wednesday #7
BobTheSubgenius Wednesday #8

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 04:23 PM

1. ;-{)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 04:26 PM

2. I wish she would live long enough to see actual change for N. Americans.. Sadly, I doubt most of us

will. The AIM movement was met with brutal Federal push-back. Leonard Pelletier languishes in prison decades longer than those charged with similar crimes. Perhaps N. Americans now fare better in film but that is little consolation for how they have been treated in many other contexts.

Pass gently, Sasheen Littlefeather.

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #2)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 04:40 PM

4. You might want to edit your post and correct the name. /nt

Reply to this post

Response to sdfernando (Reply #4)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 04:43 PM

5. Seems my spellcheck autocorrect must be a GOT fan. (!!!) thanks, corrected

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #5)

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 04:45 PM

6. autocorrect and I have a love/hate relationship! /nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 04:32 PM

3. I remember the boo'ing very well.

She maintained her dignity. My respect for Marlon Brando certainly went up.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 06:47 PM

7. I was right underneath her in the Dorothy Chandler greenroom at the time.

I saw it happen on the monitor.

(I performed the Mad Hatter from Disneyland in a tribute to Disney number in the show.)

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 9, 2021, 08:47 PM

8. I remember that night SO well!

Some people were so scandalized, and Brando's name was kicked around pretty aggressively. She was so graceful, and so gracious.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread