HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Federal judge changes his...

Wed Nov 24, 2021, 06:06 PM

Federal judge changes his mind about stepping down,

Federal judge changes his mind about stepping down, eliminating vacancy for Biden to fill
The Hill
Brad Dress - 37m ago

A federal judge who announced in August that he would step down from active service has informed the White House he has changed his mind, eliminating a vacancy on the bench President Biden could fill.

Robert King, 81, who serves with the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Va., told Biden he would not be taking senior status after all in a letter obtained by Reuters.

"After careful consideration, I have decided to continue for the foreseeable future in regular active service," King said in the letter.

King also apologized to the president for the "inconvenience." Per Reuters, he did not give a reason for reversing his prior decision.

King, who was born in West Virginia, was first nominated to the 15-member circuit court in 1998 by former President Bill Clinton. When he announced that he would be stepping down from active service and taking senior status, it gave Biden an opportunity to nominate a replacement to fill his seat.

Biden has already nominated one judge to the court, Tobey Heytens, who the U.S. Senate confirmed this month. Heytens became the first openly LGBTQ member to sit on a federal court.

The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals hears appeals cases on the East Coast, stretching from Maryland to South Carolina.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/federal-judge-changes-his-mind-about-stepping-down-eliminating-vacancy-for-biden-to-fill/ar-AAR6a0D?ocid=U452DHP&pc=U452

6 replies, 1678 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Federal judge changes his mind about stepping down, (Original post)
Fla Dem Nov 24 OP
Fla Dem Nov 24 #1
The Magistrate Nov 24 #2
70sEraVet Nov 24 #4
Fla Dem Thursday #6
LiberalFighter Nov 24 #3
RicROC Thursday #5

Response to Fla Dem (Original post)

Wed Nov 24, 2021, 06:09 PM

1. Hate when they do this. Thankfully we have 3 more years to replace him unless we lose the Senate.

If Mitch gets the Senate in 2022 no way he'll approve any of Biden's noms to the courts.

This is what happened with RBG. She stayed on too long then Trump got to replace her.
There should be a mandatory retirement age, like 75.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 24, 2021, 06:36 PM

2. I Expect This Is The Reason, Ma'am

"Biden has already nominated one judge to the court, Tobey Heytens, who the U.S. Senate confirmed this month. Heytens became the first openly LGBTQ member to sit on a federal court."

I expect he started in on wondering just what kinda critter'd get appointed to replace him....

Reply to this post

Response to The Magistrate (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 24, 2021, 08:02 PM

4. I came to the same conclusion.

Reply to this post

Response to The Magistrate (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 10:18 AM

6. Sad, but that may very will be.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 24, 2021, 07:47 PM

3. An indication his judgement is clouded.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 09:33 AM

5. there should be mandatory retirement at age 70. Or at least they move to senior status.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread