HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Opinion: For Putin to fac...

Thu Apr 14, 2022, 06:12 PM

Opinion: For Putin to face justice, we must join the International Criminal Court

By Ilhan Omar
Yesterday at 2:14 p.m. EDT

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=&w=691
The International Criminal Court in The Hague in 2019. (Peter Dejong/AP)

For me personally, it evokes a traumatic past. As an 8-year-old girl in Somalia, I remember watching armed militias go by my familyís window, hearing bombs go off outside our doors and wondering if our house was next.

No child in Ukraine or anywhere in the world should have to witness what I witnessed as a little girl.

Accountability is the key to prevention. If there are no consequences for committing these atrocities, we will find ourselves in the same place in the future. Putin must be charged and held fully accountable for his crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court (ICC). And anyone responsible for this illegal war of aggression must face justice.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/13/icc-war-crimes-putin-russia-us-should-join/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social

( Seems long overdue. )

5 replies, 839 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Opinion: For Putin to face justice, we must join the International Criminal Court (Original post)
BeckyDem Apr 14 OP
I_UndergroundPanther Apr 14 #1
BeckyDem Apr 15 #4
tirebiter Apr 14 #2
murielm99 Apr 15 #3
Uncle Joe Apr 15 #5

Response to BeckyDem (Original post)

Thu Apr 14, 2022, 07:31 PM

1. Is there a no paywall version?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Apr 14, 2022, 07:51 PM

2. We prosecuted Milosevic without membership

Canít remember the ethical reasoning but Iíd like to hear the argument for staying out yet staying involved. Maybe from Bill Clinton, Wes Clark. Or Samantha Power.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 15, 2022, 02:31 AM

3. I would care a bit more about what Omar says

if she had not voted against the bill to ban Russian coal, oil, and natural gas. She voted with the worst of the right-wingers, like MTG and Gaetz.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 15, 2022, 02:33 PM

5. Kicked and recommended.

Thanks for the thread BeckyDem.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread