HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » 7 Dodgy Food Practices Ba...

Wed May 8, 2013, 12:02 PM

7 Dodgy Food Practices Banned in Europe But Just Fine Here

—By Tom Philpott

Wed May. 8, 2013

Last week, the European Commission voted to place a two-year moratorium in most uses of neonicotinoid pesticides, on the suspicion that they're contributing to the global crisis in honeybee health (a topic I've touched on here, here, here, and here). Since then, several people have asked me whether the Europe's move might inspire the US Environmental Protection Agency to make a similar move—currently, neonics are widely used in several of our most prevalent crops, including corn, soy, cotton, and wheat.

The answer is no. As I reported recently, an agency press officer told me the EU move will have no bearing on the EPA's own review of the pesticides, which aren't scheduled for release until 2016 at the earliest.

All of which got me thinking about other food-related substances and practices that are banned in Europe but greenlighted here. Turns out there are lots. Aren't you glad you don't live under the Old World regulatory jackboot, where the authorities deny people's freedom to quaff to atrazine-laced drinking water, etc., etc.? Let me know in comments if I'm missing any.

1) Atrazine
Why it's a problem: A "potent endocrine disruptor," Syngenta's popular corn herbicide has been linked to range of reproductive problems at extremely low doses in both amphibians and humans; and it commonly leaches out of farm fields and into people's drinking water.
What Europe did: Banned it in 2003.
US status: EPA: "Atrazine will begin registration review, EPA’s periodic re-evaluation program for existing pesticides, in mid-2013."

Full Article: http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott/2013/05/7-dodgy-foodag-practices-banned-europe-just-fine-here

3 replies, 1661 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply 7 Dodgy Food Practices Banned in Europe But Just Fine Here (Original post)
polly7 May 2013 OP
Hell Hath No Fury May 2013 #1
FirstLight May 2013 #2
Addison May 2013 #3

Response to polly7 (Original post)

Wed May 8, 2013, 12:16 PM

1. K&R and shared on FB -

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed May 8, 2013, 12:16 PM

2. ...

too bad these pesticides and pollutants can't be outlawed INTERNATIONALLY... like that will ever happen.

Reply to this post

Wed May 8, 2013, 03:04 PM

3. Proud to be an American

where at least I know I'm free to eat toxic chemicals

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread