HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Heat reaches triple digit...

Mon Jul 1, 2013, 10:24 AM

Heat reaches triple digits, strains power grids - USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/30/heat-wave-southwestern-united-states/2476675/

High temperatures brought sweaty discomfort to much of the Southwest on Sunday with no break in the sizzling temperatures likely until Tuesday.

The thermometer reached 117 in Las Vegas. Triple-digit temperatures were recorded n the valleys and desert regions of Southern California, while metropolitan Phoenix saw just a slight drop in temperatures after experiencing record-breaking heat a day earlier.

~~
~~

Utility companies struggled to keep up with the demands of air conditioning.

"Some of these generators have been running at full speed for many hours now and they're not designed to do that and they break," said Steven Greenlee, spokesman for the California Independent System Operator, managing 80% of the state's power grid.

(more)

Fossil fuel industry toadies keep saying going 'Green' will cost more in utility bills and lost jobs (Note: when the fossil fuel toadies talk of lost jobs they never look at the net figure - which would include more jobs created in Green Energy sector). How much will utility bills and lost work cost when power outages shut down businesses and force repair/replacement or rapid increases in investment in even traditional power sources needed to meet the increased demand for power due relentlessly rising temperatures?

Has anybody figured the costs of heat induced power outages?? and the cost to increase power capacity - even with conventional fossil fuel based infrastructure? This cost has to be figured into the calculations for an accurate baseline to be establilshed for doing NOTHING.

6 replies, 1387 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Heat reaches triple digits, strains power grids - USA Today (Original post)
Bill USA Jul 2013 OP
abelenkpe Jul 2013 #1
AverageJoe90 Jul 2013 #2
abelenkpe Jul 2013 #3
AverageJoe90 Jul 2013 #4
abelenkpe Jul 2013 #6
Doctor_J Jul 2013 #5

Response to Bill USA (Original post)

Mon Jul 1, 2013, 10:34 AM

1. good thing we've been working

feverishly to improve our infrastructure and add alternative sustainable energy into the mix.

O wait....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to abelenkpe (Reply #1)

Mon Jul 1, 2013, 03:06 PM

2. At least we've been trying to do the latter....give BHO some credit, fella. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to AverageJoe90 (Reply #2)

Mon Jul 1, 2013, 03:21 PM

3. O I know he tries

I blame republicans for blocking efforts to improve our infrastructure and to move towards sustainable alternative energy.

Reply to this post

Response to abelenkpe (Reply #3)

Mon Jul 1, 2013, 03:23 PM

4. Very true.

Sorry if it seemed like I was ragging on ya, btw, didn't mean for that.

Reply to this post

Response to AverageJoe90 (Reply #4)

Tue Jul 2, 2013, 10:56 AM

6. No worries!

Looking forward to the day we can move forward without republican obstruction.

Reply to this post

Response to Bill USA (Original post)

Mon Jul 1, 2013, 04:21 PM

5. Maybe some day AL Gore will have enough money so he can stop this hoax

Fox News told me climate change isn't real - just a scheme for Gore to make money.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread