HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Video & Multimedia (Forum) » Trump Lashes Out at Bill ...

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 12:48 AM

Trump Lashes Out at Bill Barr for Disloyalty. Does Barr Already Have his "Pocket Pardon"?

Donald Trump has been lashing out at Bill Barr for, among other things, announcing there was no election fraud undermining Joe Biden's win and now for Barr "failing" to disclose publicly prior to the election that Hunter Biden's taxes were under investigation.

Barr's decision to break from Trump on these issues raises the question of whether Barr might already have a pardon from Trump (what I would refer to as a "pocket pardon". Importantly, there is no requirement that a pardon be made public by either the president or the pardon recipient. That is, unless the person pardoned is charged criminally and needs to disclose the pardon to avoid prosecution. Moreover, the Supreme Court decided in 1866 in a case called Ex parte Garland that the court has the authority to decide legal issues regarding the scope of presidential pardons. Here's how things might play out on the pardon front.

4 replies, 1573 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump Lashes Out at Bill Barr for Disloyalty. Does Barr Already Have his "Pocket Pardon"? (Original post)
Lock him up. Dec 2020 OP
marylandblue Dec 2020 #1
comradebillyboy Dec 2020 #2
Doreen Dec 2020 #3
arlyellowdog Dec 2020 #4

Response to Lock him up. (Original post)

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 02:08 AM

1. I doubt Barr has a pocket pardon because Trump would never do it.

He likes to promise but hold delivery until he gets everything he wants. Barr did not deliver anything for Trump regarding the election, so I am sure he didn't get his pardon yet and now he is off the list.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 02:11 AM

2. Although Barr is thoroughly unethical it's not

clear that he committed any crimes. He's a careful fellow and I doubt he needs a pardon. Which is why he can afford to break with Trump.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 02:32 AM

3. Should we place bets on if Barr gets canned before January 20th?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 13, 2020, 06:30 AM

4. What does Barr have on Trump

Barr definitely seems like a guy with powerful information.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread