Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

Rhiannon12866

(258,769 posts)
Fri Sep 16, 2022, 10:51 PM Sep 2022

BREAKING: DOJ Files Motion with Court of Appeals CHALLENGING Judge Cannon's Corrupt Mar-A-Lago Order



The Department of Justice just filed with the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals a Motion for Partial Stay slamming Judge Cannon’s ruling and asking the Eleventh Circuit to step in and remove the classified records from review by the special master and allow the DOJ to use the records for its criminal investigation. - Meidas Touch.

3 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
BREAKING: DOJ Files Motion with Court of Appeals CHALLENGING Judge Cannon's Corrupt Mar-A-Lago Order (Original Post) Rhiannon12866 Sep 2022 OP
Best of Good Luck to Reality! 🤷‍♂️🤞🤷‍♂️🤞 Cha Sep 2022 #1
I had fun reading the filing LetMyPeopleVote Sep 2022 #2
Justice Dept. asks appeals court to restore access to Trump raid documents LetMyPeopleVote Sep 2022 #3

LetMyPeopleVote

(182,006 posts)
3. Justice Dept. asks appeals court to restore access to Trump raid documents
Sat Sep 17, 2022, 01:00 AM
Sep 2022

This is a well done brief. I like the concept of limiting to an emergency stay on the key issue of the 100 records marked classified.



https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/16/justice-dept-asks-appeals-court-to-restore-access-to-trump-raid-documents-00057329

The Justice Department has asked a federal appeals court to lift a judge’s order blocking criminal investigators from accessing about 100 documents with national security classification markings recovered from former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago compound last month.

In a filing with the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta Friday night, prosecutors said the government is facing irreparable harm as a result of U.S. District Court Judge Aileen Cannon’s ruling putting the potentially classified records off-limits to the investigative team until an outside expert conducts a review of them and considers Trump’s objections to their seizure.

“The court’s order hamstrings that investigation and places the FBI and Department of Justice … under a Damoclean threat of contempt,” DOJ lawyers said in their 29-page filing, adding, “It also irreparably harms the government by enjoining critical steps of an ongoing criminal investigation and needlessly compelling disclosure of highly sensitive records, including to [Trump’s] counsel.”

The Justice Department’s widely expected escalation of the legal fight came one day after the Trump-appointed judge rebuffed prosecutors’ request for a stay that would essentially carve out the national security-related records — some bearing markings such as “Top Secret/SCI” — from the outside oversight Trump’s legal team requested.

The filing was an unsparing rejection of Cannon’s handling of the entire matter, saying it has jeopardized national security, is based on flimsy or baseless interpretations of executive privilege and could enable further obstruction of efforts to recover additional missing documents.

Kick in to the DU tip jar?

This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.

As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.

Tell me more...

Latest Discussions»Retired Forums»Video & Multimedia»BREAKING: DOJ Files Motio...