HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Star Dancer

Sat Mar 2, 2019, 08:20 PM

Star Dancer

1987 Harry Fonseca (1946-2006): Maidu-American

At the Eiteljorg Museum, Indianapolis, Indiana.

https://eiteljorg.org/exhibitions/fonseca/

2 replies, 438 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Star Dancer (Original post)
NNadir Mar 2019 OP
CaliforniaPeggy Mar 2019 #1
NNadir Mar 2019 #2

Response to NNadir (Original post)

Sat Mar 2, 2019, 09:02 PM

1. Interesting painting, my dear NNadir!

The title seems wrong, somehow.

This is not what I think of when I hear "star dancer."

The odd two-dimensionality makes me think of Picasso.

On edit: the link is very interesting! The painting makes more sense now. Thanks for providing it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CaliforniaPeggy (Reply #1)

Sun Mar 3, 2019, 11:45 AM

2. Thanks Peg. The focus of Fonseca's work is clarified by the Eiteljorg Museum's link...

It's an interesting museum.

I went to it when I was in Indianapolis for a scientific meeting, and wanted to do something with the downtime. As it happened, my hotel was directly across the street from the museum.

If one is in Indianapolis, one could do worse than to visit this museum, which is dedicated to Western US Art with a very heavy emphasis on Native American art, the tradition from which Fonseca's paintings come.

Harry Fonseca was a partial Native American, a Native Californian, and a very well respected artist famous for his coyote paintings, of which this, donated by his life partner to the museum, is an example

I feel ambivalent about the museum inasmuch as it was the legacy of a person who operated open pit stripping coal mines, albeit in a different time than ours, but to the extent that Harry Eiteljorg collected Native American and Western art and donated it to the public before he died, it's not an entirely negative legacy.

I recommend the museum highly. It's wonderful.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread