HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » In Aruba with tickets to ...

Thu Mar 12, 2020, 07:25 AM

In Aruba with tickets to fly out in 2 weeks. Thinking of getting out ASAP, anybody else away from

Home?

Figure is best to get out while the gettings good.

Rather be home and sheltered than away and unsure.

6 replies, 620 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply In Aruba with tickets to fly out in 2 weeks. Thinking of getting out ASAP, anybody else away from (Original post)
dem4decades Mar 2020 OP
hlthe2b Mar 2020 #1
dem4decades Mar 2020 #3
beachbumbob Mar 2020 #2
mnhtnbb Mar 2020 #4
mainer Mar 2020 #5
mnhtnbb Mar 2020 #6

Response to dem4decades (Original post)

Thu Mar 12, 2020, 07:27 AM

1. I would...

If I'm going to be sick, I want to be home and with my dog nearby and well cared for and able to reach out to friends/family without difficulty. Otherwise that is just increasing stress.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 12, 2020, 08:10 AM

3. Yeah I got 2 hours of sleep last night worrying. My dogs are back home sleeping contently with my

Sister in law

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to dem4decades (Original post)

Thu Mar 12, 2020, 07:39 AM

2. sitting in Florida in our RV and debating leaving a month earlier

I can make a better stand at home

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to dem4decades (Original post)

Thu Mar 12, 2020, 08:41 AM

4. I was just on Bonaire.

Left Raleigh on March 2nd with trip planned for 2 weeks.

My son and his partner were due to join me for 1 week and last Saturday--the day they were to fly--canceled. Got all the way to the airport at 4 am and my son's partner--who has a fear of flying anyway--couldn't check his bag. I think fear of coronavirus put him over the edge.

Then I was getting messages from the pet sitter that my elderly dog was starting to have some problems. So I decided to just bite the bullet and come home a week early on March 9th. If it weren't for the dog, I would have stayed--and maybe even extended my trip for another month.

When I got home, it turned out the dog had probably eaten some grass which gave her intestinal troubles. She appears to be fine.

There are only 3 flights/week on American from Bonaire to Miami, and I was concerned they could cancel all of them, or reduce them to the point I'd be packed in like a sardine. Then, there was the question of the same thing happening with my connecting flight home from Miami. I refuse to sit in a middle coach seat with a couple of people coughing on either side of me. It's happened before.

It probably depends on your ability to be away from crowds in Aruba and whether you have the ability to ride out an extra month there just in case the airlines cancel flights.

Bummer, isn't it? I'd been looking forward to this birthday trip for 10 months. That's how long ago I booked it!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to mnhtnbb (Reply #4)

Thu Mar 12, 2020, 12:14 PM

5. Ahhhh Bonaire...

I spent the whole month of January there. It must be getting hit hard economically with the cruise ship cancellations. But if you're going to get critically sick, Bonaire is probably not where you want to be.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to mainer (Reply #5)

Thu Mar 12, 2020, 03:02 PM

6. Ships are still stopping at Bonaire per regular schedule.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread