HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » I have been getting "Not ...

Mon Mar 23, 2020, 08:47 AM

I have been getting "Not Secure" messages up in that little line with the star.

Recently, when I am reading threads on DU, sometimes I have noticed little "Not Secure" messages up in that little line with the star, instead of the little black lock that is supposed to be there. I always immediately click out of that thread and start over in Latest Threads, and it goes away. I am not computer savvy, being a 72 year old bookworm. Maybe it is just a common little glitch? Anyway, I thought perhaps I should mention it to other DU people.

5 replies, 399 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply I have been getting "Not Secure" messages up in that little line with the star. (Original post)
raging moderate Mar 2020 OP
Rorey Mar 2020 #1
Skinner Mar 2020 #2
blaze Mar 2020 #4
IcyPeas Mar 2020 #5
abqtommy Mar 2020 #3

Response to raging moderate (Original post)

Mon Mar 23, 2020, 08:50 AM

1. I've gotten it on other sites where it previously didn't happen

I haven't noticed it here yet, but I was wondering what was up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Mar 23, 2020, 09:45 AM

2. That happens when a thread includes remote-linked images from other websites.

If the image is hosted on a website that is not encrypted -- the url of the image will start with "http" -- then the thread will show as not secure.

If the image is hosted on a website that is encrypted -- the url of the image will start with "https" (note the "s" at the end) -- then the thread will show as secure.

So, the part of the thread from Democratic Underground is secure, but the remote linked images are not. As the administrator of a website that hosts remote-linked content, it was a difficult decision whether to permit remote-linking from unencrypted websites. We decided to permit it and focus on making our own website secure.

Reply to this post

Response to Skinner (Reply #2)

Mon Mar 23, 2020, 12:42 PM

4. Thanks! I was wondering about it as well. nt

Reply to this post

Response to blaze (Reply #4)

Mon Mar 23, 2020, 02:45 PM

5. most informative. thank you.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 23, 2020, 12:18 PM

3. I run Malwarebytes and highly recommend it. If I go to a questionable site it automatically

shuts down the operation and quarantines it if necessary. I haven't been paying a lot of attention to
what you describe but I do feel safe!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread