HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » The DU Lounge (Forum) » Drone Disguised as Hummin...

Wed Mar 10, 2021, 08:40 AM

Drone Disguised as Hummingbird Captures Incredible Footage of Monarch Butterfly Swarm

A beautiful video of the monarchs at rest ...

https://fstoppers.com/documentary/drone-disguised-hummingbird-captures-incredible-footage-monarch-butterfly-swarm-480714?fbclid=IwAR1KxAm2fX_sF4aXEQ7iPMW70cepCZYoI8C8vp5bdGvuWAunHTfYNq10Eok

10 replies, 616 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Drone Disguised as Hummingbird Captures Incredible Footage of Monarch Butterfly Swarm (Original post)
Silver1 Mar 2021 OP
enough Mar 2021 #1
lark Mar 2021 #2
Silver1 Mar 2021 #4
lark Mar 2021 #5
liberalmuse Mar 2021 #7
lark Mar 2021 #10
Ferrets are Cool Mar 2021 #3
AndyS Mar 2021 #6
Hoyt Mar 2021 #8
Silver1 Mar 2021 #9

Response to Silver1 (Original post)

Wed Mar 10, 2021, 08:54 AM

1. Incredible is right. Thanks. NT

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Mar 10, 2021, 08:54 AM

2. Absolutely stunning, I was so lucky to be in the middle of their migration in the early 80's.

Went to a new (at that time) state park & beach, Andrew Molera, in Oct. to explore. There was a grove of eucalyptus (their fave) and we noticed that it looked strange so walked down to see what the orange flashes were. There were tons of monarchs all in cascade mode, all around us. We stopped and held out our arms and the monarchs were alighting on us for a few seconds before flying away. The air was nothing but fluttering monarchs. They'd fly up to the leaves, align themselves, and whole long leaves would be covered in seconds and a few seconds later uncovered as they flew off and new butterflys alighted. it was definitely the most transcendent minutes of my life. I wish everyone could get to experience butterfly air.

Reply to this post

Response to lark (Reply #2)

Wed Mar 10, 2021, 09:03 AM

4. That sounds just incredible.

You're so lucky to have wandered into it ... one of "those" moments in life.

Reply to this post

Response to Silver1 (Reply #4)

Wed Mar 10, 2021, 09:05 AM

5. I just wish cell phones had been around then so I could have recorded it.

My memory of it will never dull though, just the absolute thrill and peace of it. It was so quiet you could hear the wings rustling, just like in the video, although the actual experience tops that by a mile, stunning as it is.

Reply to this post

Response to lark (Reply #2)

Wed Mar 10, 2021, 09:33 AM

7. Heaven on earth for a brief time.

I miss seeing the Monarch butterflyís like I did as a kid. They arenít as common anymore in the places Iíve lived out West. What a breathtaking experience that must have been for you. I almost cried watching the clip OP linked to. I canít imagine how it would feel being in the midst of that.

Reply to this post

Response to liberalmuse (Reply #7)

Thu Mar 11, 2021, 08:37 AM

10. It was absolutely transcendent.

My friend and I just stood there with our mouths open, taking it in. Then we started gently laughing when the butterflies were landing on our arms and tickling as they moved around. Sometimes in life you get gifts, this was one of the major ones and I am so thankful for the experience.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 10, 2021, 08:58 AM

3. Thank you for sharing.

The slow motion was fabulous.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 10, 2021, 09:19 AM

6. I have seen this. In a secluded area along a stream a few

Miles outside Boerne, Tx. It is the reason I have never been without a camera, even for a moment, since. That was more than 50 years ago.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 10, 2021, 09:41 AM

8. There is a place I hike that some years has hundreds of Monarchs, but nothing like that.

Other years, I don't see them for some reason.

That video is magical. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Wed Mar 10, 2021, 10:14 AM

9. For anyone who can do it ...

planting nectar flowers attracts monarchs and helps to feed them while they migrate. There are lists of the nectar plants they like. I understand milkweed is indispensable.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread