HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Arts & Humanities » Crafts (Group) » Magic loop (for knitting)

Wed Aug 7, 2019, 12:20 PM

Magic loop (for knitting)

Hi all. Iím a crochet-er but have thrown myself recently into knitting. I canít do DPNs because Iím just not smooth enough so I found a method called Magic Loop using a circular needle. The problem is I get laddering/wide spaces at the ends. What am I doing wrong???

4 replies, 1117 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Magic loop (for knitting) (Original post)
EllieBC Aug 2019 OP
Stargazer09 Aug 2019 #1
EllieBC Aug 2019 #3
Stargazer09 Aug 2019 #4
secondwind Aug 2019 #2

Response to EllieBC (Original post)

Wed Aug 7, 2019, 12:27 PM

1. Could be a couple of issues

One, your circular needle isnít long enough to give you a true loop to knit with. Depending on what youíre making, the needles plus cable should measure at least 32Ē from tip to tip. I normally use 40Ē - 48Ē long needles for magic loop, but 32Ē is still useable.

Two, itís important to let the just-worked stitches slide off the needle before you start the second half of the round. They should be resting on the cable, allowing you to gently tug on the working yarn before your next stitch.

It will take practice to master the technique, so donít be too hard on yourself while youíre learning.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Stargazer09 (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 7, 2019, 03:42 PM

3. Thanks!

Iím not sure why I thought socks would be an excellent starter project. 😂

Iím using a 32Ē cable but I think Iím not keeping enough tension on those first few stitches.

Reply to this post

Response to EllieBC (Reply #3)

Wed Aug 7, 2019, 03:53 PM

4. You are a brave soul!

Socks arenít as easy as they look!

Itís a balancing act on the tension. My first couple of pairs of socks had stitches that were too tight at the corners. I was yanking the yarn to avoid ladders, and well, I went a bit too far.

Reply to this post

Response to EllieBC (Original post)

Reply to this thread