HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Arizona (Group) » To ease teacher shortage,...

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 03:16 AM

To ease teacher shortage, pilot program in Tucson offers free tuition, $1,000 a month

TUCSON – The University of Arizona and a neighboring school district are working on a pilot program to “grow” Tucson residents into teachers, offering free tuition and paying them $1,000 monthly stipends.

Pathways to Teaching, an education program and support system, will help 10 people earn their K-8 teaching degree in 17 months – and chip away at teacher vacancy rates and retention problems, advocates say. The pilot program of 10 potential teachers includes a classroom assistant, a member of a school Parent Teacher Association and health-clinic employee.

Karla Amezcua, 26, works as an appointment scheduler in a health clinic but intends to leave her job in January to start in the Pathways program.

“When I graduated high school and was getting ready to enroll in college,” she said, “I was having kind of an identity crisis. My mom had me when she was going to college to be a teacher, so I wanted to become a teacher for her, but I didn’t know what I wanted for myself.”

Read more: https://arizonadailyindependent.com/2019/12/01/to-ease-teacher-shortage-pilot-program-in-tucson-offers-free-tuition-1000-a-month/

1 replies, 522 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply To ease teacher shortage, pilot program in Tucson offers free tuition, $1,000 a month (Original post)
TexasTowelie Dec 2019 OP
Sherman A1 Dec 2019 #1

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Mon Dec 2, 2019, 07:41 AM

1. So to fill the gap they created

It’s free tuition and a UBI. Sounds like the Andrew Yang policy proposals.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread