HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » Arkansas (Group) » As Tom Cotton courts cont...

Mon Jun 22, 2020, 11:03 AM

As Tom Cotton courts controversy, he runs unopposed in Arkansas

By Herb Jackson
Posted June 22, 2020 at 10:30am

ANALYSIS — A New York Times opinion piece by Arkansas senator and presidential-candidate-in-waiting Tom Cotton advocating the use of military force to put down rioters and looters in American cities caused a meltdown on liberal social media and an uproar at the Times. In the end, editorial page editor James Bennet, the brother of former presidential candidate and Colorado Sen. Michael Bennet, resigned.

What did not happen: an outrage-fueled flood of campaign donations to Cotton’s Democratic opponent in this year’s Arkansas Senate race. That’s because Cotton doesn’t have a Democratic challenger. Neither does Rep. Rick Crawford, one of the four Republican House members in Arkansas.

Democrats thought they had a Senate candidate lined up, but he dropped out after the deadline had passed to put someone else on the ballot. And unlike other states where even the safest candidates seem to face perennial challengers, no other Democrat in Arkansas had filed. Indeed, other than the presidential ballot, where President Donald Trump got 97 percent against two challengers and former Vice President Joe Biden got 41 percent against 17 opponents, none of the federal offices in Arkansas’ March 3 primary was contested.

Six years ago, Cotton’s victory over Democratic Sen. Mark Pryor marked the first time since Reconstruction that the GOP held both Senate seats. Two years before that, Cotton won an open seat in the 4th District given up by Democrat Mike Ross, and the GOP has held a monopoly in the House since then. A decade ago, Rep. John Boozman, now a senator, was the only Republican in the delegation.

-More-

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/06/22/as-tom-cotton-courts-controversy-he-runs-unopposed-in-arkansas/

7 replies, 604 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply As Tom Cotton courts controversy, he runs unopposed in Arkansas (Original post)
LiberalArkie Jun 2020 OP
hlthe2b Jun 2020 #1
LiberalArkie Jun 2020 #3
hlthe2b Jun 2020 #4
LiberalArkie Jun 2020 #5
jorgevlorgan Jun 2020 #2
LiberalArkie Jun 2020 #6
jorgevlorgan Jun 2020 #7

Response to LiberalArkie (Original post)

Mon Jun 22, 2020, 11:11 AM

1. It is beyond belief that local and national Dems allowed him to run unopposed.

I read and understand that the recruited opponent dropped out, but geebus... Does anyone think the R's would allow a Dem to run unopposed to the US Senate?! How did this happen?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Mon Jun 22, 2020, 11:28 AM

3. The Democratic Party candidate pulled out right when the filling period closed

Josh Mahoney

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalArkie (Reply #3)

Mon Jun 22, 2020, 11:29 AM

4. I recognize that. VETTING?

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #4)

Mon Jun 22, 2020, 11:30 AM

5. Josh is from a long line of South Arkansas Democratic politicians.

I would say that Cotton had access to patriot act data

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalArkie (Original post)

Mon Jun 22, 2020, 11:18 AM

2. there is an independent trying to qualify. he is a Bernie sanders type

With independents dissatisfied with cotton at such high levels, the state party would be stupid not to get behind whitfield.

https://katv.com/news/local/poll-independents-dissatisfied-with-trump-cotton-biden-competitive-in-arkansas

Reply to this post

Response to jorgevlorgan (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 22, 2020, 11:31 AM

6. Whitfield has my vote

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalArkie (Reply #6)

Mon Jun 22, 2020, 11:37 AM

7. cotton has 3 mil or more in the bank

Whitfield has 10k. Not sure hes made it on the ballot quite yet. I sent him a few bucks from California, hopefully Arkansas folks can do the same.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread