HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Places » U.S. » California (Group) » The body of Ray Taliafer...

Mon Dec 3, 2018, 01:36 AM

The body of Ray Taliaferro was found, according to a family member on Sunday evening.

This just makes me sad, I used to listen to Ray...

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/12/02/family-member-ray-taliaferros-body-found/

Ray Taliaferro Jan 3, 2001 KGO talk radio

10 replies, 2371 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply The body of Ray Taliaferro was found, according to a family member on Sunday evening. (Original post)
yuiyoshida Dec 2018 OP
Leghorn21 Dec 2018 #1
4now Dec 2018 #2
still_one Dec 2018 #3
NBachers Dec 2018 #4
miyazaki Dec 2018 #5
LenaBaby61 Dec 2018 #6
iluvtennis Dec 2018 #7
LenaBaby61 Dec 2018 #8
not fooled Dec 2018 #9
Brother Buzz Dec 2018 #10

Response to yuiyoshida (Original post)

Mon Dec 3, 2018, 01:43 AM

1. Oh so sorry - he was much respected and loved - from the link:

He was a broadcasting trailblazer, the first African-American major market radio talk show host in the country.

Surveillance video that surfaced last week showed the last time Bay Area radio legend Ray Taliaferro was seen in public.

On the evening of November 10th, he knocked on the door of a church in Paducah, Kentucky, and spoke to the music director.

The video shows him talking for about 15 or 20 minutes.

He was apparently disoriented and confused and then disappeared

I wonder if he had something suddenly go wrong in his brain

So awfully sorry

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 3, 2018, 01:45 AM

2. This is really sad

He fought the good fight when very few others on radio would.
and he was damn good at it.
I will always remember him.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2018, 01:56 AM

3. That is sad. His overnight show on KGO was great. The link to the video implies he retired. That

was no retirement. Cumulus Media bought KGO, and destroyed the number 1 talk radio show in the bay area, by firing most of the talk show hosts, kept a couple, which were not particularly progressive voices, and tried to partially emulate KCBS all news which was a complete failure.

I have no idea what "KGO" radio's format is now, but they really destroyed an "institution" in the city.

Very sad news indeed

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2018, 02:22 AM

4. I used to like listening to Ray on the radio. This is too bad.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2018, 03:15 AM

5. Loved Ray.

Very sorry to hear.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2018, 04:09 AM

7. RIP Ray Taliaferro.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 3, 2018, 04:48 AM

8. I Loved Ray ....

And I was heartbroken when KGO'S format went to all-news which sucked, and it also meant that Ray's show was off the air for good. The end of a Bay area legend. I listened to Ray for many years--right out of high school in the late 1970's. He was intelligent, unabashedly liberal and such a lover of music. He was also funny as all hell as well. I know he lost a son a few years ago (He looked just like Ray). I LIVED for Ray's Christmas Eve Shows which he always played the best music. He also talked about and was always asked for his Christmas Sweet Potato Pie recipe.

Love you Ray, and I will MISS you. You were a trailblazer and a pioneer in black journalism, and you were such a big part of the San Francisco Bay Area for many years.

I can hear and visualize you broadcasting from your giant political microphone in the sky (Although you really didn't believe in God), with that deep, booming, distinguished voice of yours. You helped me think and grow as a person. I'm forever grateful.

YOU WILL BE MISSED.

The musical stylings of the ultra-talented and now late Ray Taliaferro.

Part 1. "Amazing Grace" 12/31/11

Part 2. "Amazing Grace" 12/31/11

Reply to this post

Response to LenaBaby61 (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 3, 2018, 01:29 PM

9. Thanks for posting those clips

I used to leave the radio on all night tuned to KGO to listen to Ray when I was going to grad school in the Bay Area.

The day KGO changed format was the last time I listened.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2018, 08:48 PM

10. Coroner: Legendary Bay Area Radio Host Likely Died Of Exposure

In a late night news release, the Paducah police department said foul play had been ruled out in his death.

Coroner: Legendary Bay Area Radio Host Likely Died Of Exposure

December 5, 2018

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Retired Bay Area broadcast legend Ray Taliaferro, whose body was found in the woods in Paducah, Kentucky, likely died from exposure to the elements, the coroner announced late Tuesday night.

In a late night news release, the Paducah police department said foul play had been ruled out in his death.

“An autopsy was conducted today at the Regional Crime Lab in Madisonville,” the statement said. “A report has not been finalized, but exposure to the elements may have been a factor in the California man’s death.”

Taliaferro, a legendary Bay Area journalist for KGO radio went missing last month in Kentucky.

He and his wife of six months — Charlotte Crawford — were visiting a property she had inherited in Brookport, Illinois. Police and a family spokesperson both said that Taliaferro and Crawford were preparing to leave the property in a rental car together, when she went to the rear of the house to check on a window.

When she returned, the car and Taliaferro, who may have been suffering from memory issues, were gone. A search was launched in Illinois and nearby states.

His body was found Sunday evening in a “wooded area approximately a mile from where he was last seen,” a family statement said.

<more>

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/12/05/coroner-legendary-bay-area-radio-host-likely-died-of-exposure/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread